Mispronunciations at the meetings

by TR 46 Replies latest jw friends

• TR
    TR

Eman,

I can say "Aluminum" just fine, thank you.

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

One particular word that made me wince was someone saying NY-a-sin for the month of Nisan.

Another that I'll never forget was one Elder always used to say Haggy-eye for Haggai, it never failed to make me have to hide my grin or bite the inside of my lip. All I could picture was some really old man with a toothless smile, and one watery eye bigger than the other starin' at ya! LOL!

hugs,

Sunspot

• COMF
    COMF

We had lots of fun at one theocratic ministry school, when the reading was about that guy, Adonizedek. The school overseer pronounced it ADD-o-NIZZ-a-deck. The 14 year old who had the #2 talk pronounced it add-o-nuh-ZEE-dick. A witness fielding a question after the talk pronounced it AD-o-NIZE-a-deck. And I called it a-DOAN-EYE-ZEE-dick.

COMF

• JeffT
    JeffT

A couple that always got me, one pronounciation, and one grammer.

1. "God's or-gan-I-za-tion

2. "It is well that we ..."

• Angharad
    Angharad

We had one elder who pronounced Noah as Nor. The most painful meeting was when he gave a public talk about the flood.

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

I think my two favorites were:

The time my Dad went to the door and met a super patriot type, who promptly yelled "ARE YOU ONE OF JEE-WIT-NA-HO-VAHS???" Dad cracked up.

The very warm, caring Mexican brother who had a very rough youth and had only been through the 3rd grade. He loved to read the paragraphs, and everyone appreciated his enthusiam, but sometimes it was still a chore listening to him.

One night we were studying about Nebuchadnezzar and he got that one just fine, but when he ran across Nebuchadnezzar's father, Nabopolassar, it stopped him cold. We all waited in glee, not knowing what would come out of him. Finally, he says, "Nay--, Naybo--, Aye, aye, aye!!!! Why didn't they name him John??" We laughed until our bellies ached.

I still love that brother.

LoneWolf

• Sirona
    Sirona

LOL! what a funny thread!

An elder in my hall used to always refer to "our friends and relatives" but said "are friends an relaye-tives"

Then a brother was reading in the book study, our particular book study group had more children in it than adults, so over the screaming children he read the passage that said "they were ordered to kill their enemies" as "they were ordered to kill their babies".
    He carried on reading and didnt know he'd done it!

I used to always laugh when reading the psalms where it says "by the rivers of babylon where we sat down, we wept when we remembered zion" because noone could read it without pausing like in the song...some even said it with a lilt in their voice...

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit