Mispronunciations at the meetings

by TR 46 Replies latest jw friends

• TR
    TR

Moxy raised a point in the "exaggeration" thread that aggravated me at the meetings. Mispronunciations. Moxy mentioned the word 'hyperbole' as frequently being mispronounced.

Another one that bugged me was 'epitome'. At a Watchtower study one Sunday, an elderly JW woman, was reading back the answer to a question. The word 'epitome' was contained in the answer. She pronounced it 'EPI-tome'. LOL! I guess it just goes to show the ignorance of JW's. They simply just say what the WTS tells them to say without much thought.

Any other mangled words out there?

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Not so much mangled words, but my pet peeve is when people mess up common sayings like, "You can't have your cake and eat it too" An old girlfriend of mine would instead say, "You can't have your cake and icing too." To which I always responded "WHY NOT?"

Mispronounced words...Elite, NO Long "E" sound there folks.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• TR
    TR

Yeru, LOL!

My wife has a friend that does the same thing with old sayings! We're constantly making fun of her over it. Sayings like going through something 'with a fine tooth comb' get turned into 'fine tooth nail'. Or when she can't remember a certain word, she'll just make one up. The word 'roughshod' gets turned into 'runshon'. Example: "The kids just ran runshon over me at school today" or, "I went through that garage sale with a fine tooth nail".

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Black guy down south- Re: scrip that sez we are a "spectacle" to those in heaven --Peter? somethin something-anyway
    HE says SPEC_'TACKLE' about 9 times in 12 minutes. I think 10 of us wet our pants or had anyurisms trying not to laugh out loud ....

• Mum
    Mum

I remember quite a few, not all mispronunciations:

"A fortune teller told Jean (actually Grace) Kelly where that she would be a prince (obviously should be princess)"

"superflushious" for superfluous"

"status Q" for "status quo"

"Trujilla" (with a anglicised "J" as in "Joe") for "Trujillo"

That's all I recall off the top of my head.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

My wife "drinks" pills rather than taking pills (I assume from the spanish toma which can be used for "take" and "drink" I make fun of her, she'll hand me a box or something saying "Toma esso" which is, Take this, my response is "I'm not drinking that"

Also, they "give" a program on TV Rather than Show it, I think this is a NYC thing, as in "They're giving Jenny Jones on Channel 4.

SUPERFLUSIOUS HA! SOunds like an ad for a new Toliet.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• LDH
    LDH

Eunich= YUNCH

Vulva = Volvo

Deuteronomy = Doot-er-om-ony

Second that motion = second that emotion

automaton= auto maton(long 'a')

LOL
    Lisa

• Xena
    Xena

There was a sister at our hall in Florda who pronounced interesting as inSIRresting...drove me NUTS...lol and she used the word over and over and over again!

• Moxy
    Moxy

you know what drives me NUTS thats related is when someone is reading a passage with a bible name in it or a paragraph with a greek or hebrew word in it like, oh say 'philoxenia.' invariably, it goes something like this:

'when speaking about hospitality, the authors of the christian greek scriptures used the greek word--' [dumb blank stare] 'im not even going to TRY that one!' [uproarious laughter from audience] haha, what a bunch of idiots we all are!

or like:

'when speaking about hospitality, the authors of the christian greek scriptures used the greek word... uhhh.. phixoloxolini... oh im sure [token Greek-speaking Brother] can do much better than me on that. haha'
    mox

why yes, i am a smart ass.

• Xena
    Xena

lol are you sure we didn't go to the same Kingdom Hall moxy???

uuummm how about saying Revelations instead of Revelation?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit