Feb. 1 mass calling campaign. Will you call?

by Shawn10538 60 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    DT wrote: My goal is just to see if they will admit to being a NGO. If they deny it, I won't argue. I might say something like, "Thank you. It's hard to believe that Jehovah's Witnesses would actually join the UN."

There was a thread that discussed the concept in depth. The verbage presented above does not quite accurately describe the arrangement.

It's not just semantics and if you don't present your case properly you will lose before you even get started.

Nearly any organization that is not an actual government, is an NGO. They clearly *are* a Non-Governmental Organization. I sincerely doubt that they will deny that. It's within the context of an agreement and arrangement with the UN that things get crazy.

They did not *join* the UN. I believe that only governments can actually become members of the UN. (The vatican may have a seat, there, too. But I think there is something special about that. The WTS *never* had the same position/status as the vatican. Not even close.)

What the WTS *did* do, is enter into an agreement with the UN. Something that many, many agencies do.

The controversy for the WTS is that in entering this agreement, the WTS agreed - among other things - to use it's literature to promote the goals, activities and ideals of the UN - something that was condemned ad nauseum in their literature for decades.

[I noticed a switch in their tone in the Awake! mag starting in the early 90's and at the time thought it odd. Didn't sit well with me but I had other issues with the society at the time so mostly put that incongruency aside.]

When this 'partnering' became public, the WTS quickly withdrew their application/agreement, and spun a tale of "D'oh!! We didn't know that it was wrong." "We just needed a library card." "The UN changed the terms after we signed."

All are just excuses to shrug off getting caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

What I really want to know is - aside from the 'library card' - what did the WTS stand to gain? My understanding is that the affiliation was not even required for library access. My guess is that the affiliation helped put the WTS on better political ground (clout) in countries where their work was banned. Or perhaps they gained access to other 'perks' of affiliation - use of planes to provide travel to distant 3rd-world countries???

THAT's the question I'm curious about.

And yet I'm not convinced that a phone campaign is the right way to get that info.

I also agree with the other posters who expressed concern about continuing witness perception of ex-witnesses as raving lunatics who are unhappy with the consequences of their decision to leave 'Jehovah's peaceful, loving organization.'

I'd rather lead by example of living a happy, peaceful, prosperous life. And let everyone know that I'm much happier out than in.

But that's just me.

The reason I'm spelling out what might seem to be semantics is because I believe that if you are going to go thru the trouble of the exercise with this campaign, be sure that you are logically informed and not just raving about things that really are non-issues - like getting them to admit to you that they were an NGO. They still are. ANY organization that is not a government is an NGO. But not all make an appeal to partner with the UN.

It's the partnering that is the problem. And the subsequent absolution of responsibility and failure to disclose and provide plausible cause to it's members - including the DF'd swimmers at the Y.

-Aude.

• freedomfighter
    freedomfighter

Yeh.. The best way to get even, is to keep moving ahead with your life and be happy in doing so. It's good to learn from the past, but if you keep looking back you'll trip over something.

The WTS is struggling to keep people in, with the wonders of the information age we live in, more and more JW's will face a BIG decision.

Do we follow anyway? or do we think for ourselves? Oh Sh*t. I think i know the answer to that one!

FF

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I just came across this thread about 'Sandy's' call to the society 2 years ago: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/105060/1.ashx As usual, GaryBuss's inquiry caught my eye: Does this mean it's now OK for us to buy Girl Scout Cookies??

Also, here's a link to AuldSoul's explanation (within DogPatch's WANGO thread from last year): http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/131258/3.ashx

I thought these were interesting threads.

-Aude.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    freedomfighter wrote: or do we think for ourselves?

Ah! I know where I stand. I had the awakening when I was sitting in the kingdom hall - that I was complicit in their wayward path if I chose to continue to sit there and imply my agreement by silently following.

Still wasn't too sure about my own path and nerve to search different opinions when I joined JWD.

"Aude Sapere" is a latin term meaning: Dare to Know; Dare to Think for Yourself.

Sorry for the brief hijack.

-Aude.

• Hermano
    Hermano
    Hello is this the Jehovah's?

Yes

Wack a Wack a Wack come to JWD

LOL at cultswatter

• Hermano
    Hermano
    Sounds like a great job you have there.

LOL at Daniel-P.

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Here in the United States people have freedom to worship. I will allow them their rights to freedom to worship without bothering them that includes making rude phone calls. I have the right to get out of any church and move on and find one that I like to attend.

Mentally it is a hard one for true believers of the Jehovah's Witness, but if you are young you will be able to bond somewhere with another church. Perhaps one that is not too harsh and shows Grace instead of Disfellowshipping.

I think the best slap in the face to a religion like the Jehovah's Witnesses is find some sort of happiness with another sect! other wise they win, they are right, and they still have control over you! Granted you will always struggle with another churches doctrines, but you will also gain re-placed people in your life.

It is time to move on.

• Hermano
    Hermano

I like to focus my energy on trying to get my wife to think and really make an informed decision about this religion.

However, I wish your campaign the best.

It's great that we can all tackle this issue on different fronts and in different ways, and share the results. Let us know how it turns out.

• DT
    DT

I like to focus my energy on trying to get my wife to think and really make an informed decision about this religion.

However, I wish your campaign the best.

It's great that we can all tackle this issue on different fronts and in different ways, and share the results. Let us know how it turns out.

If my family would speak to me, they would be my priority too. It seems that I can only try to help them in indirect ways. I'm pleased with how this campaign turned out and hope that future months will be even better. I discussed my experience here.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/152056/1.ashx

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Go ahead if you want., I would not do such a thing , for the following reasons.

1] Why strengthen their persecution complex? they are sure that they are targets for Satan, why feed the fantasy?

2] The Brooklyn H Q is not where we need to target activity. They are a lost cause . It is the youngsters in your home town congo and waverers who might listen , who need help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit