Feb. 1 mass calling campaign. Will you call?

by Shawn10538 60 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• 5go
    5go

Nope, I don't see any one being swayed by what is clearly designed to be a nuisance. It will just solidify their persecution complex and they will be more convinced in what they believe.

• Dagney
    Dagney
    but I do believe that many JWs have never even heard about some of the big controversies about their organisation or don't realise that a lot of people are very concerned about these issues.

All that information is just a mouse click away.

Some will not believe it no matter what evidence given, case in point, the court settlements.

With that being said, wish you all the best with your efforts.

• pseattle2
    pseattle2
    There are a few JW who are/were truly being victimized by the religion. Perhaps some sort of in your face action would help those who are currently being victimized. Often trauma is what motivates a person to take the blinders off. But most adult JW are free to make their own choices and they must face the consequences of those choices just as I face the consequences of my choices. Dealing with the consequences of decision that I made does not make me a victim. No one is forcing adults to be JW just as no one is forcing some black people to assume "thug" culture is black culture.

I think in any situation like this, if there are people who have been seriously victimized by the WTS -- and there are -- our efforts should be focused on seeking out and helping them, which is why boards like this exist.

I couldn't care less what happens to the Watchtower Society. They're a completely empty, vacuous entity to me. Tying up their phone lines by being nuisances helps nobody and feeds into their persecution complex.

But trying to help an ex-Witness unravel the considerable damage the WTS has done to them, that's accomplishing something.

--P

• notyetx
    notyetx

Better be very cautious about anti-phone jamming laws. The WTBTS might decide to prosecute under some state or federal telecommunications laws if there is a concerted effort to jam the phone with mischievous intent.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

I can see now that those that want to participate in actions are definitely the minority. That is kind of surprising to me for some reason.
    It seems that most are just cynical about the efficacy of an action but not necessarily opposed to action in principle. To those I say: It was just this kind of thing, other people dropping little hints, tidbits and questions that eventually led me out of the org. Once a fact is put out there, it tends to linger and eventually get spread. Things like the 13 million dollar law settlement are conpletely unknown to JWs. o, if you just ask one about it, try as they may to not think about it, they will still, on some level be thinking about it, wondering about it. It will not leave their mind, not ever. It will have to be filed somewhere in their brain, even if it is in a trash folder. There it will fester and cause dissonance. Cognitive dissonance as we all know is what will eventually lead a cult member to an awakening.
    So, for the efficacy cynics, I ask to prove why it will be so ineffective. From what I have read from Steven Hassan and a few other cult swatters, this is exactly the kind of action that leads a cult member to awake...SOMEDAY. The more points of dissonance a person has floating around in their head the more they will have to struggle and compensate and manage these thoughts. They may at some point sign up to be a pioneer and really ge3t into Bible research in an effort to lesse the dissonance. This will only lead to eventual burn out. This is exactly what happened to me and I have a few friends and family members who wou7ld drop little tidbits on me from time to time. Over the years they built up and when I finally had the guts to research those "lies" it was a great awakening that all those apostates were actually telling the truth.
    I stand by my belief that these little actions may truly save many people from a life in a cult. It may even start a land slide away from the WT. In any case, I am proud to say that I am not a "DO NOTHING." These little actions at least are SOMETHING. And it is bound to work better than NOTHING.
    To all the neigh sayers: sit back on your couch, drink a beer and let everyone else Do, while you masturbate.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

Why won't I be calling? I have other things to do that are more important to me, such as getting my paycheck, spending quality time w/ my friends, watching South Park, getting another piercing, smoking a smooth cigar, eating a slim jim, etc. It's called living. That's the promise I made to myself when I decided I no longer wanted anything to do w/ the WTS. They aren't getting any more of my life than I already permitted them take.

• notyetx
    notyetx

Dear Shawn,

"Doing" is a good thing. But doing it well is what is needed now. Action misdirected and misapplied often turns on the actor.

Education, both passive and active, is what JWs need most. They need dispassionately presented incontrovertible facts. Phone jamming is just not a good idea for legal and tactical reasons.

Educate by coming up with a clever video or writing and publishing a great essay. Give public talks about the issues that the WTBTS has and encourage JWs to discuss them.

There is nothing wrong with fighting for right, but you do not have to break your hand throwing the punch.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    other people dropping little hints, tidbits and questions that eventually led me out of the org. Once a fact is put out there, it tends to linger and eventually get spread.

Excellent, Shawn.

I do this.

A lot of us here do.

I got a ministerial servant out and an elder ( he's now a sporadic meeting attender only to appease his wife and keep business contacts).

My son is thoroughly deprogrammed.

Discreetly planting "little hints, tidbits, and questions" in the minds of friends, family members, and acquaintances that are JW's is very different from calling Bethel and solidifying their persecution complex.

When a doubting Witness knows he/she can be "real" with you, they will call when they want to talk/vent.

You just have to be there to listen to them, without judging them like those "still in" do.

• tula
    tula

One of the threads you referenced concerns plans of a MASS EXODUS.

To me, that means TAKING A STAND FOR TRUTH, THEN LEAVING.

That is a far cry from making some chicken s$$$t prank phone calls that will never influence the R and F to wake up.

Prank phone calls have nothing to do with taking a PERSONAL STAND FOR TRUTH and REMOVING yourself from the environment as a TESTIMONY and INFLUENCE to others.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

A much better tactic would be pulling money together for a billboard somewhere close by Bethel that announces the molestation payouts. Not numerous phone calls to Bethel headquarters. Do you know how many they probably get in a year of the same type of questions? Tons! What difference will it make if 100 of them come in one day?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit