Mother-in-law gets a letter from JWs

by Jim_TX 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

First - let me point out that (for those that do not know this), neither my wife nor any of her family are JWs. My wife studied with a JW - but that was many years ago. She never got too far into the JW religion - but got a knowledge of what - and who they are. (She has also pointed out several discrepancies in their teachings - to what they practice).

Anyway... on to my story of the day.

Yesterday, my wife picked up her mom's mail at the postbox. She went through it getting all of her mail out, and noticed one letter to her mom. Later that evening, when she phoned ler mom, she mentioned the letter... it was addressed to her dad - and mom. Her dad has been deceased for almost 3 years now, so that kinda raises a red flag - that someone hasn't gotten the memo.

Her mom told her (over the phone) to open the letter - to see who it was from - and my wife did. She pulled out a 1-page letter... and a tract. She asked me... "Is this one of the JW tracts?" I looked at it, and saw the usual JW 'branch' addresses on the back page. I told her, "Yeah, it is."

The letter was basically telling her mom that... well... I truly don't remember. It was the usual door-to-door drivel... only in letter form. The tract was something to do with 'Coping with Depression' - or somesuch. I tried reading a bit of it... but honestly... it made no sense - those words that I read. The return address was the one for the church behind us. The woman who wrote it put her name to it, though.

I felt it ironic that they would publish a tract on 'Depression' - when many of their own members seem to suffer from it.

Oh - the letter - and tract - destined for the garbage can.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

wow that is creepy that they would use a church's address.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Alot of witnesses who write letters see it as a way to 'count their time'. it is an easy option for pioneers instead of walking the streets knocking doors. They can stay cosy in their house and still 'preach the good news', just a way of sciving if you ask me.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Yes, when I was pioneering I liked writing letters much better than hoofing it on the streets. Especially in the winter. But I hated telephone witnessing. I could just write a letter, with no furthur contact with the recipient. Much easier!

momz

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

My mother and a friend to this instead of going d2d. Frankly neither of them are in good enough health to do that kind of walking etc, so they mail tracts etc instead. Strange about the church address as a return. Maybe you should bring that to their attention? lol They might be surprised to see that.

BB

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

My wife's uncle is an elder, and has had back problems for a long time that make door to door work difficult. So, he picks names out of the obituaries and writes infomercials to the survivors. I've also heard of witnesses phoning or writing letters to people who are chronically not at home when they call or who live in secured buildings.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "wow that is creepy that they would use a church's address."

Ummm... sorry. I call 'kingdom halls' - churches. My bad. I have come to call it what it is. A religion - with a church.

Regards,

Jim TX

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Writing letters and sending tracts was a great way to count time when I was a teenager & pioneering!! You could stay at home in your pj's and watch TV while doing the letters. Amazing how time flys by when a good show comes on!!

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Alot of witnesses who write letters see it as a way to 'count their time'. it is an easy option for pioneers instead of walking the streets knocking doors. They can stay cosy in their house and still 'preach the good news', just a way of sciving if you ask me.

There was a brother in my hall that pioneered for a year like that . Never went out door to door. Couldn't get around, yadda, yadda. After that year he went back to driving a semi-truck, long hauls and never at the meetings.

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

That's how my M-I-L starts her time every morning. She sits down at 7 and starts her letter writing until right before 9 when she meets with the group. However, she often times spends those 2 hours on the phone with relatives (all JW's) chit-chatting about who knows what. At least she got 2 of the 5 hours she needed for the day.

I recently had a conversation with her about why it is necessary to count time. That did not go over well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit