Joy Or Sorrow When You First Found Out It Was False?

by serotonin_wraith 46 Replies latest jw friends

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Thanks for the replies so far. Anyone else want to answer the follow up question?

It looks like having a purpose with everything laid out for you seems to be something people needed/liked. I always figured it was mainly just the paradise and better health people were sad to see wasn't true. That part never really appealed to me, maybe when I was very young it did. I wasn't that keen on living forever going to meetings and worshipping a being I didn't like, and seeing animals at peace would have soon got boring.

I don't like my life planned out either. I like to decide for myself what happens. I think in the future I may do a poll to see whether those who wanted it to be true were more likely to end up turning to another faith afterwards, and those who didn't became atheist. There might be a connection.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Joy that my insticts were right and there was "something" wrong with them. Sad that my parents and in laws are still in and just can't see it for what it is.

• Maddie
    Maddie

I had so many conflicting emotions it is hard to separate them, but I felt sorrow, relief, disillusionment, and rage.

Maddie

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I have been surprisingly mellow about the whole transition. Not joy and not sorrow. More like apathy. I was and am however happy that I have been able to freely research anything I want now, though, and find answers.

I have been 'mellow' about it possibly because it happened so gradually. Possibly because I always had questions I couldn't get a decent answer to, since I was little. That said, it really hit home about one year or so before I joined JWD, and after that even more so. But still I didn't have a huge reaction to it. I was afraid of dying for a while though, because suddenly, this life is all I have. So there were nights I couldn't sleep because I was listening to my pounding heart, knowing it was the only thing keeping me alive. But it got better.

Actually, some kind of rage has only very recently been creeping up on me, when I think about how having been a JW actually screwed up major parts of my life. However, I'm not sure I can blame JWs for all of it. Hard to tell what kind of person I had been and what kind of life I had had if I hadn't been brought up a JW.

As well as asking which feelings you had at first (joy/sorrow/or add your own) I have a follow up question for those who found it hard- What was it that made the impending deaths of 6 billion people okay for you? Did you really think everyone else was 'evil' and deserved death? Did you not think on it too much, left it in God's capable hands? Something else?

I was... 'comfortably numb'. I think what made the deaths of 6 billion people semi-OK (wasn't totally OK with me), was that I thought Jehovah would save all those who had 'the right heart condition'. And also - he's God, so he can do whatever he wants (surprisingly, I see this kind of argument used by believers here now...). Also, I was under the impression that JWs actually were all over the world, and that everyone did have a chance to 'repent'. I was very naive in many respects. I was told however, that entire nations had been eradicated in the (biblical) past, so it could happen again. I also thought that people who would be killed in Armageddon, didn't believe in it anyway, and so didn't think they'd live forever. So ending their life there wasn't such a biggie, since they would die eventually anyway(!). It should be said that I was never totally comfortable with all this. I was brought up in it, and was told all this by my parents, who after all are your ultimate authority figures growing up. "They wouldn't lie to me". And they didn't - they actually believe it. Cognitive dissonance didn't work well for me though - I had to ask the tough questions, and there were no answers. So I did the 'waiting on Jehovah' routine for a while. But it just didn't make sense in the end.

I know most of us say we're glad it is false now, so if it was hard facing reality at first, what was your mind making of all the things we now see as negative when you were a part of it?

As mentioned, I had questions. I did search for answers in the literature, but couldn't find any. I guess I was naive, apathetic, numb, etc. and also thought that it would all be revealed some day. Besides, Armageddon was right around the corner... just a little longer now, and it will all be OK somehow...

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Sorta waiting for the blade to drop on the guillotine and licking my lips in anticipation of the taste of my own blood as I reposition my head so my mouth lines with the blade!

Its the way to go when Crusoefied on an island youre awoken by as it starts to rumble and erupt like some 'Devil at 4 'o' clock'

I always wondered in those films about Ancient Greece how they got a highly toned soldier to wilfully take a ride down a slide of sharp steel so it cut straight through his whole body before he hit the spikes below!

I guess we all took a similar lesson in psychology?

• freedomfighter
    freedomfighter

I was shocked and angry! I never thought they could be wrong. How could Jehovah's people be wrong?

Then pieces of comments and statements used over the years, - came to me and it felt like a very difficult jigsaw coming together rather quickly. Then feelings of sadness and joy and feeling free!

FF

• TooBad TooSad
    TooBad TooSad

I would say that 99% of JW's don't think in terms of Jehovah killing 6 billion

people at Armeggeddon. They think in terms of God destroying the wicked

and ushering in a paradise earth where they can throw their glasses and hearing

aids away and go the the cemetaries to wait for their loved ones to be resurrected.

TBTS

• strawberry cake
    strawberry cake

I felt disgusted with the WT and the elders who I felt should know more than they do. Then relief and then Joy! Joy that I am free to make my life as beautiful as I know it can be. Strawberry Cake.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I grew up in it, I had doubts about it all along, I never wanted it to be "The Truth", but still in the back of my mind I believed it was probably the truth. This is of course no doubt due to all the lies that they used to back it up. If I had only had access to some apostates or real apostate info back when I was a teen, then I could have been completely freed earlier.

So when I finally found out it wasn't the "Truth" it was very bittersweet for me. I was an emotional wreck the night I found out it was all a lie. I remember the tears hitting the keyboard as I typed, and realized that my whole life had been manipulated by a lie.

I think if I had found out earlier in my teens, my life would have taken a different course.

I will expose this cult until the day it crumbles, I never want any child to go through what I went through.

• uninformed
    uninformed

I actually cried every day at least once for a long time. I had given 45 years of my life and 4 kids to this f***ing thing. It hurt bad.

Now I am just relieved. You know, like after a good bowel movement.

Brant

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit