OPINION POLL: Dressing Up. Yay? Neutral? Yuck?

by Open mind 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

Country Girl:

Excellent post. I really enjoyed it. Although, I've not walked a mile in your "high-heels" I think I can empathize about where you're coming from.

Do you think you would have eventually gotten to where you are now if it wasn't for the JWs? ( I'm talking about your views toward fashion in general.)

I think if I'd had more negative experiences as a result of wearing the JW uniform, I would probably have built up a resentment for it.

OM

• 5go
    5go

Seeing as the whole 1950's formal is going out of style I really don't see a reason to bother with it. JW are only holding on to it because frankly the are told to by an american corporation that won't change much to save it's life.

• tinker
    tinker

I LOVE fashion, High Heels and Dressing UP But as a Cleaning Lady I look really silly cleaning toilets in high heels. That is the one thing I miss about meetings, dressing up. I didn't do if for the attention, I just love good design and beautiful fabrics and Shoes! It is so sad to see all my beautiful clothing and Shoes just sit there with no place to go. I complained whenour assemblies were cut back because my wardrobe was effected. Every assemble and convention meant 'New Outfits'. Ah well, so it goes and for a good cause.

To Open Mind: During the last year of our fade, my husband intentionally would not bring his suit jacket so he would not be invited to conclude with prayer. But one time he was offered the loan of a jacket to be acceptable. He had to come out and tell the guy, No Thank you, if I wanted to give a prayer I would have worn one of my 30 jackets I have at home. You see he is kind of a cloths horse also. His closet is larger than mine so the moths are having a feast at our house these days.

• DJK
    DJK

I don't like dressing up. I dress appropriate for the occassion.

The last was a funeral, my father and I were the only men who wore a jacket and tie. Yah, I was embarrassed.

The time before that, it was a meetup with some forum members at a resturant called "The Chateau". With a name like that I thought I should dress well. I wore a jacket and dress shrit, no tie. I was wrong, it was casual and I felt overdressed.

For the next meetup, I'll wear Alan Jackson jeans and a Tim McGraw babecue stained white T-shirt.

DJK

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I HATE dressing up now. I can't stand being in dress pants, having that top button done up, and a shitty tie. I avoid dressing up as much as possible. I can wear a dress shirt, but that top button HAS to stay undone.

Seriously, people need to quit dying and getting married. Those are the ONLY occasions when I dress up, and I hate it.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

WELCOME NEWBIE: potentialJWconvertswife

I posted a welcome to you on a new thread above ....so a) you would get a wider welcome not buried here...and b)...so you can get your question answered without it being buried in this thread...LOL...

This is my first post in the forum...here to try to get knowledge to pull my hubby out before he gets sucked in any further. Any suggestions???

so click on the above link and welcome our newbie and help her out...

SnakesInTheTower ()

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

RD:

I am now almost forty pounds down, eating low carb and loving it, and looking forward to the day when I can once again wear nice clothes

good for you...great news....you told me on the phone that you had lost weight...CONGRATS.....I think Hortensia has a weight loss thread going on somewhere.... (HERE: ten pounds in ten weeks, HERE: ten pounds in ten weeks week one, and the current one HERE: ten pounds in ten weeks, weeks three and four)

You will feel better physically and emotionally. I cant imagine carrying around a lot of weight, I have been thin or trim my whole life...I hit 35 and I have to watch out or I will baloon like my dad did...

As to this topic....(sorry for the detour...just had to acknowledge good news)....

I havent worn a suit since September 23, 2007...my last meeting at the KH.... I have 4 or 5 nice suits in the closet, including 2 I bought new in 2002. If I had some nice female company to go out with, I would dress up.....but never again for a stupid meeting....

Snakes ()

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I hated it, when I attended the meetings. Now, I don't actually mind it. In the summer I wear little skirts to work and I feel cute. Although, they wouldn't be appropriate for the meetings. They are shorter than knee length and I wear them w/ tank tops. Once in a while to work I will wear an ankle length skirt, stockings, a nice top, a sweater, and heels. But, I'll be honest, that's normally when I need to do laundry and the only clean things I have, besides panties, are my dress clothes.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    besides panties, are my dress clothes.

I bet you look really good all dressed up.

W

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I feel like VoidEater -

Oh, like some other things in life - if I *have* to, it's a pain, but if I *get* to, it's fun. It's more fun to dress up now without meetings.

I still hate wearing pantyhose though . Although there is nothing sexier than sheer black stockings and some high heels .

BB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit