OPINION POLL: Dressing Up. Yay? Neutral? Yuck?

by Open mind 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

Something was wrapped around my neck at birth and it wasn't the umbilical cord.

It was a neck tie!

Must have been. Because dressing up in a nice suit, good quality dress shirt (I own one), $50-$75 neck tie (My wife has purchased a couple for me that were in this price range. Yikes!!) and well-polished shoes is something that doesn't bother me one bit. If we're headed out to a really swank restaurant (once or twice a year), I actually LIKE IT!!

I've heard others here use all kinds of this stuff *#$%@ (*$#@#$% when referring to suits, ties, dresses, high heels, nylons, etc.

What's your gut-level opinion of dressing up?

Open Mind

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I don't dress up 3 times a week anymore, but I do like it occasionally when I'm going out to a nice place.

W

• martinwellborne
    martinwellborne

absolutely NO WAY. i cant believe i bought two shiny new suits last year for the meetings and now i aint going no more.

anybody want to buy two nice suits?

Mw

• Hermano
    Hermano

I dont have a problem with it. However if I have to go to a meeting or Assambly I intentionally dress down, just to let them know I'm not open to any of their BS.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I don't especially like dressing up. And especially when it's inflexible and regular, as going to boasting sessions three times a week plus field circus. It is OK for rare, special occasions to dress up--such as a wedding, graduation, and the like.

And I especially despise having to wear that damn embarrassment badge at the Grand Boasting Session. While I'm there, I used to put up with it because everyone else had the damn things on. But, once I get more than a block away from the site, I used to take it off. Once 90% of the people around are no longer witlesses, I have no further use for the embarrassment badge. I also waited until I was within range to put the fxxxing thing on.

• magoo
    magoo

.......open mind.....i didn't know they had 'nice restaurants' in Uzbekistan.........

magoo

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I like it, if I could afford to dress nice every day I probably would. I hate Tom Brady, but I would probably try to pull off his fashion sense.

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

I used to hate dressing up.

Then, cue to health and emotional problems I ballooned up to the point where it simply wasn't an option, they don't make suits my size that are practical...

Now I wish I could dress up and go out with Becky, take her someplace nice, dance the night away, but sadly I cannot at this time.

I am now almost forty pounds down, eating low carb and loving it, and looking forward to the day when I can once again wear nice clothes, just not on the mandate of the Crusty Codgers from Crooklyn.

Another benefit is that jogging pants don't support a holster so well, proper concealment in sloppy fat guy clothes is a practical impossibility, so I never know whether the 'stink eye' I get in public is due to being rather large, in a wheel chair, the poorly concealed firearm in my pocket, or dressing so badly.

Once I get smaller, and can dress better, and conceal better, it will narrow it down to the chair, or my being so ugly.

Looking forward to fitting into dress clothes again,

RD

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

A big YUK, shirt and tie scenario has always been an annoying discomfort that many of us guys will attest to

But I suppose its alright for the occasional wedding or funeral

There always seems to be an ever present phoniness about men with suits on, kind of like covering oneself with a white sheet of purity to cover

all the filth and dirt and this is an unfortunate fact

• wifekeepsmeinit
    wifekeepsmeinit

There is absolutely no excuse for getting into a suit to sit on a plastic chair at a brothers apartment for the Book Study.

Absolutely no excuse, in fact I have brought that up numerous times with my wife. Last year I showed up in jeans and a t-shirt to test the theory: Will I learn better in something comfortable or uncomfortable.? The results were stupendous. If fact I felt even more spiritual for having done so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit