Tax Revolt

by frankiespeakin 79 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I would think about what you just stated seeing as you are a christian in all. You know how can you be free slave of the Christ.

God alone.

Also I think the right is famous for stating freedom ain't free.

You do violence to the real meaning of that statement.

Burn

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Journ,

But, they will hold you accountable for back taxes, plus penalties and interest, and again....YOU WILL BE SORRY.

Even if they eventually get thier pound of flesh from me, usually from what I read they settle for pennies on the dollar in upaid taxes, much cheaper in the long run IMO.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Frankiespeakin....don't count on it till after you've paid thousands to a tax attorney to help you out of the jam.

Also, hope and pray you don't own anything like a home and extra ammenities.....they will be seized. Don't

say you haven't been warned.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Ed Brown tried it. He even stockpiled food and guns and barricaded himself into a home turned fortress. The Feds got him in October. The whole affair made national news. I think he lived next door to a Supreme Court justice. Ironic ain't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_and_Elaine_Brown

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

http://www.peacetaxseven.com/history.html

History of war tax resistance

"If a thousand men were not to pay their tax-bills this year that would not be a violent and bloody measure, as it would be to pay them, and enable the State to commit violence and shed innocent blood".

{Henry David Thoreau, "On the Duty of Civil Disobedience", 1849}

War tax resistance and the birth of democracy

War tax resistance has a long and noble tradition. In 1202 King John of England raised taxes to pay for a new war against France. As King, John was entitled to raise money from his feudal subjects; but, he stretched these rights to the limit and offended many barons who disagreed with the war. The barons were furious at the waste of money especially when John was defeated by the French. They complained about the way the king was running the country. Fearing trouble the Archbishop of Canterbury suggested they send a list of demands to the King. John had no intention of obeying others’ rules and was furious. The Army of God and the Church under the Barons marched on London whose supporters opened the gates. The King fled to Windsor Castle. King John did not want war with the barons and so finally, by the Thames at Runnymede, met them and agreed a list of promises and on 15th June 1215 the Magna Carta was born – one of the most important documents in world history. Democracy was born in England.

Income Tax

The relationship between income tax and war is a close one. Income tax was first introduced in Britain in 1798 to pay for the purchase of fighting men and weapons for the Napoleonic wars. Introduced by William Pitt the tax was temporary and technically has to be renewed every year. It was applied as 10% of income and remained right up to the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. A year after Waterloo, Income Tax was repealed but the Conservative Prime Minister Sir Robert Peel reintroduced Income tax in the 1842 Budget speech and it's been with us ever since.

One of the earliest known instances of war tax refusal in America took place in 1637 when the relatively peaceable Algonquin Indians opposed taxation by the Dutch to help improve a local Dutch fort.

The Quakers

QUAKERS have been and still are at the forefront of war tax resistance.

In 1709 the Quakers Assembly refused a request of £4000 for an expedition into Canada, replying "it was contrary to their religious principles to hire men to kill one another" and during the American Revolution most Quakers were opposed to taxes designated specifically for military purposes. Property was seized and auctioned, and many Quakers were jailed for their war tax resistance. During the Mexican war of 1846 many Quakers again, refused to pay war taxes.

Henry David Thoreau

The most famous instance of war tax resistance was that of the writer Henry David Thoreau. As well as being a philosopher and something of a mystic Henry Thoreau was also very involved in the burning issues of the day and opposed the imperialist and unjust nature of the Mexican War of the 1840's. He refused to pay the Massachusetts poll tax levied for the war, resulting in a night in jail. Someone paid the tax for him - ending his protest abruptly - so he put his opposition in writing and created a document first published in May of 1849 called "On the Duty of Civil Disobedience":

"Must the citizen ever for a moment, or in the least degree, resign his conscience to the legislator? Why has every man a conscience, then? I think that we should be men first, and subjects afterward. It is not desirable to cultivate a respect for the law, so much as for the right. The only obligation which I have a right to assume is to do at any time what I think right."

In his Autobiography Martin Luther king said of Thoreau's work: "As a result of his writings and personal witness, we are the heirs of a legacy of creative protest". In the 1950's, the United States Information Service included as a standard book in all their libraries around the world a textbook of American literature which included Thoreau's 'Civil Disobedience,' but a certain Senator Joseph McCarthy of Wisconsin succeeded in having the book removed from the shelves.

"Civil Disobedience" is like a venerated architectural landmark: it is preserved and admired, and sometimes visited, but for most of us there are not many occasions when we like to think it can actually be used. Still, although it's seldom mentioned without references to Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King, "Civil Disobedience" has more history than many suspect.........

• 5go
    5go

You do violence to the real meaning of that statement.

Burn

You don't seem to grasp English sometimes.

I think you meant to say "You do injustice to the real meaning"

• 5go
    5go
    Even if they eventually get thier pound of flesh from me, usually from what I read they settle for pennies on the dollar in upaid taxes, much cheaper in the long run IMO.

Very true though you will need a lawyer.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

You don't seem to grasp English sometimes.

I think you meant to say "You do injustice to the real meaning

No, I meant "you do violence". It is a common enough turn of phrase, as a quick google reveals . It would appear that your own English would be helped by a bit of enrichment.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

http://tampabay.indymedia.org/article/noble-american-traditon-tax-resistance

The Noble American Traditon of Tax Resistance

Posted by dejitarob on December 3, 2007 - 10:16pm in

If you ask the average citizen to identify a famous American war-tax resister, most folks (if they came up with a name at all) would probably cite Henry David Thoreau. But how about Joan Baez, Noam Chomsky or Gloria Steinem?

While the author of Walden Pond is remembered for the night he spent in a Massachusetts jail for refusing to pony up to support the Mexican-American war of 1846, his solitary protest was an anomaly. But 120 years later, Baez, Chomsky and Steinem were joined by more than 500,000 Americans who openly opposed paying taxes to support Washington's bloody war in Vietnam.

Today, with tens of millions of Americans marching to protest the administration's invasion of Iraq, the nonviolent tactic of war-tax resistance is gaining new converts. And, as the April 15 tax deadline approaches, Baez and company have issued a new Appeal to Conscience proclaiming that citizens have a "moral duty" to oppose Washington's war of occupation by "refusal to pay taxes used to finance unjust wars." .............

Tax resisters can face civil penalties of 5 to 25 percent on the amount owed (plus compound interest at a rate of around 10 percent). If the amount goes unpaid, the government can attach wages, bank accounts, cars and homes. Criminal prosecution is possible but uncommon.

Such penalties could become a thing of the past if Congress were to pass (and the president were to sign) the Religious Freedom Peace Tax Bill. This bill would allow citizens to assign the "defense" portion of their taxes to a fund supporting peace work and social services. The Peace Tax Bill will be introduced in the 108th Congress around Tax Day April 15.

Since neither Congress nor the United Nations could prevent the U.S. from launching a preemptive war of occupation in the Middle East, a National Tax Strike may be the last, best tactic for bringing a rogue administration to account. It is unlikely that even Attorney General John Ascroft could secure enough jail space to accommodate tens of millions of peace-loving tax-resisters.

For more information, contact the War Resisters League, 339 Lafayette St., New York, NY 10012, (212) 228-0450, www.WarResisters.org.

For more information on tax resistance see War Tax Resistance Made Simple.

• 5go
    5go
    It is a common enough turn of phrase,

Oh it is, point out where Violence is commonly used in that context.

Also I think the right is famous for stating freedom ain't free.

Here is the Webster's dictionary definition of the word violence.

1 a : exertion of physical force so as to injure or abuse (as in warfare effecting illegal entry into a house) b : an instance of violent treatment or procedure 2 : injury by or as if by distortion, infringement, or profanation : outrage 3 a : intense, turbulent, or furious and often destructive action or force <the violence of the storm> b : vehement feeling or expression : fervor ; also : an instance of such action or feeling c : a clashing or jarring quality : discordance 4 : undue alteration (as of wording or sense in editing a text)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit