I don't like using Jehovahs' name anymore

by LouBelle 30 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

along with what slip said,

The letter "J" was not even used until the 14th century...

• Satanus
    Satanus

A lot of people have replaced creator variants w 'evolution'. 'Spirit' can coexist w evolutionary forces.

S

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Since no one has seen or spoken to God, then the name has to be made up by an earthling. How else would you know the name of someone other than by the name as told by the person?

Therefore the name is (dare I say it on JWD) "Worldly". If I did not tell you here my first name how else would you know it?

Does that make sense?

Jehovah is a name that applies to the Real Estate Corp., and not the creator anyway.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

As long as Clyde has been away from the "truth," and even though he knows that Jehovah is not found in the NT, he still addresses Jehovah when he says prayer before mealtime. Our son, who has been out 3 or 4 years, does the same when he says prayer. Doesn't matter one way or another to me, but it did embarrass me slightly one time when we had some non-jw company for dinner, and Clyde used the name when saying prayer.

• Dogaradodya
  • Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,
    I agree with many here, Jehovah is not necessary and the name is only mentioned in the Bible six or seven times. LORD is in my translation and comes from the Hebrew YHWH (the Jews left out the vowels) which is most likely Yahweh.

Jehovah is most likely a bad translation and whatever, is certainly a major red herring in the WT and NWT where they substitute it without any reason.

Jesus should know how to pray and showed the disciples, "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name..."

See Romans 8 and Galatians 4 and you will understand why.

You can pray to Jesus to.

John 14:14 (New International Version)
    You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

Strange the WT forbid that ;)

All the best,
    Stephen

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Look on the bright side of life. At least you won't get stoned for saying the Lord's name.

(Every time (every time!) I watch this scene I end up laughing in glee at my monitor.)

• Maddie
    Maddie

I have had terrible trouble over the name Jehovah but gradually it is not bothering me quite as much. The JW's use is all the time and say it is compulsory but now I understand that it is an incorrect translation any way, also its ok to use Father or Lord.

Maddie

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

I prefer to use Yahweh.

The JWs admit in their own publications that it is MORE accurate than 'Jehovah', (in their own contorted way) but they use 'Jehovah' because " the form 'Jehovah' has a currency and familiarity that 'Yahweh' does not have. "

In other words: "We use it because it is more popular." (So much for being no part of the world, or fighting to restore the divine name. huh?)

So when those witnesses come to your door, or meet you in a doctors office and ask you if you know gods name, you can have 1up on them already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh

What would be REALLY fun, is to bring a 'World English Bible' with you, since it uses the name Yahweh. http://bible.cc/psalms/83-18.htm

Lore - W.W.S.D?

• thom
    thom

I tend to associate that name with JW's in my mind. The times that I've discussed god/creation/whatever with people, I usually just say 'god' or 'whoever might have created us'. I don't specifically believe in the god of the bible anymore, but I do tend to believe in a creator. I think maybe we were just his science project and by now he's off having a good time and has forgotten about us. I wonder if he got a good grade.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit