I don't like using Jehovahs' name anymore

by LouBelle 30 Replies latest jw friends

• wildfell
    wildfell

Hi Stephen

John 14:14 (New International Version)
    You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it

Thanks for that scripture. I am sure the nwt did not paraphrase it that way???? Or maybe it did but I was so programmed that I did not see it? I chucked out all jw literature a few months ago, so can't go back to reference it.

Just looked John 14:14 up, and the 'me' is there in the original greek. I have been trying to come to some understanding of the praying to Jesus issue, so this is great. I was brought up in a mainstream church and I prayed to Jesus as a child, but did not know if it was right to do so again. I feel like I have to learn the basics of Christianity again. I was closer to God and the truth of the Bible when I was a member of a mainstream church.

Re jehovah, just a few weeks ago I read an excellent article on the origins of the jehovah name. I will never use jehovah again. I use Yahweh or Father.

http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/Jehovah.htm

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi wildfell,
    Great you chucked out the WT literature. I think recycling it is maybe even too good for it, but emergency toilet paper is fine :0

Seriously, there is nothing there you need. Neither the New World Translation Unholy Scriptures or any teaching from the WT, period.

What you do need is a proper bible, you have those now, including the Greek so you are well away :)

Just as important you need the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 2:14
    The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Pray to God, Jesus, Father, the Holy Spirit to reveal what He has for you. It will jump off the page, I guarantee.

PM me or post here if you like, I am happy to help.

All the best,
    Stephen

• wildfell
    wildfell

Hi Stephen

I wouldn't keep wt stuff in my home, even as standby toilet paper.

I do believe that the Holy Spirit is revealing things to me from the scriptures. Slowly, slowly. I got help today by your post re John 14:14. That jumped off the page!

Thanks for the offer of help!

kind regards

wildfell

• Chalam
  • LouBelle
    LouBelle
    feel like I have to learn the basics of Christianity again

Hi Wildfell - All that you have is within you - the Spirit will show you.

I've been writing down all my little bits that come to me. I'm starting to realise how really free I am, choice is a wonderful thing.

Stephen - I enjoy your posts

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

May Jehovah bless this thread.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Loubelle,
    Glad you are enjoying the posts and the new found freedom :)

Have you read about Freedom In Christ in Galatians 5?

I think that you might like it in The Message

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=55&chapter=5&version=65

All the best,
    Stephen

• wildfell
    wildfell

Hi LouBelle - Yes, we ARE free. Only those who have been captive in a mind control cult can appreciate the uplifting, joyous feeling of realising that GOD HIMSELF gave us our freedom and intended us to be free.

Stephen mentioned Galations 5. Reading Galations was a revelation for me, it was my 'get out of jail card'. Especially, Gal 5:6 The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. (NIV) Not faith trying to justify itself through law, as was pushed down our throats by the governing body.

kind regards

wildfell

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi wildfell,
    Glad you enjoyed Galatians 5 :)

Did you managed to try Isaiah 53 and 55?

If so try here too, same deal

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=73&chapter=21&version=31

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=73&chapter=22&version=31

Notice that Jesus says He is the Alpha and the Omega, same as the Father in Revelation 1:8

Even the NWT agrees!

Rev 1:8 “I am the Al´pha and the O·me´ga,” says Jehovah God, “the One who is and who was and who is coming, the Almighty.”

Rev 22:12 “‘Look! I am coming quickly, and the reward I give is with me, to render to each one as his work is. 13 I am the Al´pha and the O·me´ga, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. 14 Happy are those who wash their robes, that the authority [to go] to the trees of life may be theirs and that they may gain entrance into the city by its gates. 15 Outside are the dogs and those who practice spiritism and the fornicators and the murderers and the idolaters and everyone liking and carrying on a lie.’
    16 “‘I, Jesus, sent my angel to bear witness to YOU people of these things for the congregations. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright morning star.’”

I expect no-one is discussing this kind of teaching in the 'Kingdom Halls' :(

OK main question is have you R.S.V.P. to your invitation? You gotta let the host know you want to be at the party!

All the best,
    Stephen

• wildfell
    wildfell

Hi Stephen - Yes, happy to say that I RSVP'd a long time ago! I was always a Christian before I was a jehovahs witness. At least I got that right!

Yes I did notice that Jesus and God are both referred to as the Alpha and the Omega. I readily admit Jesus divine nature. It can be quite puzzling thinking along the lines of how Jesus and God are connected. I concur with Ray Franz opinion:

Human language, remarkable though it is, is limited to expressing what relates to the human sphere. It could never adequately be used to describe in detail and fullness things of the spirit realm, such as the exact nature of God, the process whereby He could beget a Son, the relationship resulting from such begettal, and similar matters. At the very least, it would take the language of angels, themselves spirit persons, to do this.

kind regards

wildfell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit