I don't like using Jehovahs' name anymore

by LouBelle 30 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I must say the more and more I learn and find my way around my spirituallity the less I use the name Jehovah.

It just reminds me of everything I went through, reminds me of the ""bad"" and not the good of God. It reminds me of hypocracy and mind control. For me god is the Creator, the Spirit - for me that has a more positive conitation.

The only time I use it is when I speak to my cousin who still believes its the truth or to the bible study.

• freedomfighter
    freedomfighter

I understand Loubelle,

My Mum was/is "Jehovah this and Jehovah that...."

When i became a teenager, i remember snapping at her. I just couldn't put up with it constantly in my ear.

I got baptised at 16, to save my sanity.( She kept niggling at me everyday )

Anyway, she's 74 now and i love her. I live in another state though.

Waffling................ Yes i do have a problem with it. I prefer "The Creator", ...... for now.

FF

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

I certainly don't believe in the God of the old testament anymore, but prefer to use Yahweh when I refer to the character.

• Layla33
    Layla33

I totally understand, as it is something not verified conclusively.

I refer to our creator as the "higher spirit" or as simply as "our creator" and leave it at that.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

If it makes you feel any better, most modern scholars use Yahweh.

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

If nothing speaks to the reproach heaped on the name Jehovah (no matter if you believe or not in God, Jehovah or a Higher Power) this is it Jehovahs Wittnesses have associated the name with hypocrisy and abuse of power.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never did like using that name once I was let down by Him. I did not want to inadvertently bring praise and honor on Jehovah's name, so instead I would refer to Him as Tyrant and Baghead. For sure, I hated it when I had to offer the fxxxing prayer at field circus.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

I totally understand the feeling. I find it complicated myself. I personally use "Father, Heavenly Father, even Lord". Sometimes I even talk to Jesus! Isn't it odd, after all we were told, that here we are finding that "name" bringing up bad connotations of God!

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

wtwizard:

I hated it when I had to offer the f xxx ing prayer at field circus

I remember when a brother (who was eventually DF for apostasy), was once asked to give a prayer, I think at the conclusion of the service Sales meeting. NOT ONCE did he use the name "Jehovah", prefering to refer to "him" as "Father" or "Heavenly Father". There were very few "Amens" at the end of that prayer, a lot of strange looks, and definitely a lot of wagging tongues...the elder who called on him for prayer was immediately taken to the back room by the PO and read the riot act.... they had been watching this brother and were just looking for a reason to oust him.... they felt he shouldnt have offered a prayer...heh heh...

....I think the brother used to post here... I am glad he gave us the ammo to pull the trigger on him... he and his family seem to be infinitely happier now .... ironic, isnt it?

Snakes ()

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

dont sweat the Jehovah thing...scholars will tell you it's not a good translation anyway.

~Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit