Singledom - the peaks and troughs?

by Crumpet 60 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I have almost completed the first year of my adult life (since 18) as a bachelorette and was wondering what others' experience of singledom is?

What would you say are the advantages to being single (other than being able to pioneer )?

What are the things you miss the most about a relationship?

For me the first few months were the worst - the agony of the lack of regular affectionate human touch. Now I've settled into living alone its hard to picture living full time with someone again. There are moments I really wish I could share with someone - comedy moments and night terrors, but mostly I enjoy the freedom of being alone. I think my confidence has grown and my ambitions have broadened. Have you experienced positive effects of being single or do you dread being alone?

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

For me many positive and one definite negative.

• bisous
    bisous

Benefits:

Independence in so many ways ... how you design your living space, your routine, lifestyle, time to focus on your own projects, ability to pursue any career or living change without having to consult someone or consider their view. Control of the remote (ha) ...

Downsides:

Lack of regular sex, no one to complete the 'honey-do' list but me, having someone to pursue shared goals/interests with, lack of regular sex, lack of testosterone / manliness in my space, not enough sex ...

I'm sure there's loads more but that is a starter list!

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I miss physical contact more than anything. Sex is a part of that, but even sitting on the couch watching a movie or sleeping late together.

The good things about being single is I don't have to check with anyone else when I want to do anything. I can join as many writing/poetry/creative meetings and groups as I want with out worrying about whether it's going to conflict with someone else's schedule. My friends are having their karaoke contest again and I get to be a judge. Woohoo! I can do my comedy thing without getting permission first. I decide when I go to bed. I decide when I get up.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

:::: I can join as many writing/poetry/creative meetings and groups as I want with out worrying about whether it's going to conflict with someone else's schedule. ::::

Oh and here I was worried you were going to do something nerdy

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    :::: I can join as many writing/poetry/creative meetings and groups as I want with out worrying about whether it's going to conflict with someone else's schedule. ::::

Oh and here I was worried you were going to do something nerdy

LOL! Before you write it off too fast, you need to see some of the gorgeous ladies that show up at these events.

• free2think
    free2think

For me I am enjoying being independent, that is a big positive.

Negatives: um i cant really think of any, well maybe just one

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Yes, but Abandoned aren't they going to be artsy/nerdy too????

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Care to elaborate there unconfused? I know yours is a recent condition - how you handling it?

Bisous - did you mention lack of sex? I have to say that wasnt a worry initially because it seemed sex was lurking around every corner, but now that I feel a bit more choosy and less inclined to lurch round "every corner" it can be a tad aggravating to say the least!

Abandoned - I agree with you there on the physical aspect - then again it is nice to get up when I want. I find bed is a horrible place to go to alone and I do tend to put it off as long as possible. The dent in my sofa and outrageously intimate knowledge of the post midnight tv schedules is testament to that fact. On the other side - waking up when I want and sleeping in "X marks the spot" style without any rib-digs is wonderfully satisfying!!

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    Yes, but Abandoned aren't they going to be artsy/nerdy too????

And this is bad because? People will tease them at the library?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit