Isn't it wonderful to find 'Kindred Spirits' here?

by AK - Jeff 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I received a PM from another long time poster - this poster has been out about the same time as I have - his circumstances in getting to his place have been quite different from mine. Yet, he stated he feels that he is in the same place re: religion, spirituality, etc.

So last nite he calls - and we had a wonderful conversation. We talked for an hour as if we had been friends for our entire life - perhaps we will be. I keep anonymity for the time being. But isn't it great when we find persons whom we connect with on so many levels? Interestingly, that is something that I never was able to really do as a Jw - the only thing we shared was that our minds were controlled in the same way. Once the mind control is gone - so are the 'friends'. Now that I am free, I have made several wonderful friends from here on JWD. Not all are kindred spirits - but some are. And it makes my spirit feel rested.

My opinion is that the true brotherhood begins after we leave the false brotherhood. Amen for that. I hope that many others have had such experiences here. Those friendships are usually a little different to maintain, from a long distance often, true, but worth the effort IMO.

Just wanted to share one of the postive effects of this place in cyberspace.

Peace and Hope to all

Jeff

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Spirits come visit me every night, but everytime I ask -not one of them comes from kindred! Damn I wanna know what that place is like!

• eclipse
    eclipse
    My opinion is that the true brotherhood begins after we leave the false brotherhood. Amen for that. I hope that many others have had such experiences here. Those friendships are usually a little different to maintain, from a long distance often, true, but worth the effort IMO.

Great sentiment, Jeff, I agree completely.

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

Yeah I have been able to find a few people here I know and PM them to make contact. Some I expected to find here and some I did not but even those I don't know I find I connect with due to simular circumstances. And anonymity is stil very important to me but I am finding it less and less important I may just come out of hiding soon.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

It's because we all know what we came out of, and we all survived. It's not easy breaking free from a cult because of it's grip - that's why even some of the new people I meet don't understand why I'm so happy to be free of the JWs'

Once the mind control is gone - so are the 'friends'

So very very true - not one of my old "friends" kept in contact. And I had soooooooooooo many back then.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    So very very true - not one of my old "friends" kept in contact. And I had soooooooooooo many back then.

LouBelle - I also had a lot of "friends." Then I discovered that the vast majority of them weren't friends at all. They were merely acquaintances whose friendship hinged upon my giving my unqualified allegiance to an organization of men.

Bonnie

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

We are mostly all like abuse survivors or WT-addicts that got off the habit.

We have a common bond. Some will be more kindred spirits than others.
    Jeff, you and I are not at all alike, but I feel that bond. Our differences are
    minor in comparison to our like-experiences.

Thanks for reminding me that I have friends and people that care about me.
    One of my kindred spirits is Purplesofa. Anyone hear from her? How is she?

• chickpea
    chickpea

even without a DF or DA or any hint of apostasy.... all that is usually needed is a fade and the "friends" drop ya like a nasty habit......

so much for the principle of hebrews 6:10 >>> for God is not unrighteous to forget your work and the love which ye showed toward his name, in that ye ministered unto the saints, and still do minister.

i would not turn away one who comes for assistance ( and a few still do, the ONLY time we hear from them!) but i also now am engaged in "ministering" to individuals who ask for no allegiance to an organization or a singular philosophy......just empathetic listening and PRACTICAL assistance, not some worn out jargon about waiting......

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Some will be more kindred spirits than others.
    Jeff, you and I are not at all alike, but I feel that bond. Our differences are
    minor in comparison to our like-experiences.

Good point, OTWO. I did not mean to imply that different personality types do not become friends. They certainly do. And I wouldn't have it any other way. It would be pretty boring if all our friends thought like we do. You and I are friends, talk occasionally, and sometimes face to face. I am happy that is so, and consider that an important relationship. I'm glad we don't look at everything alike. I like the way you think.

In fact, my relationship with you and some others here, will likely be a factor in changing my outlook on many things - and for that I am eternally happy and grateful.

But once in a while we meet someone who has had a mirror experience to ours, in terms of the way and timing and when certain things 'hit you'. That is what I mean by 'kindred spirit' in this case. That does not diminish the attachment we have to others who found their way out of the cult in a completely different fashion. [Or at least it shouldn't.] The feeling I have attempted to describe here is kind of like after moving across the country, and running into someone who attended your high school, remembers the same events from the old local community you recall, and has been shaped into someone who thinks like you do as a result.

Of course I agree. Most of us have very similar stories to tell, and backgrounds as far as the religion is concerned. But once in a while we meet someone who has not only lived the same history, but has reacted in the same fashion to that history. In this case, we both left with our significant family intact, both reacted in the course of time in a similar way to religion, and are currently at the same point in 'making the turn' philosophically on some points of thought. At some point there may be a radical departure in the way we react to the stimuli that is driving our viewpoint - but it is interesting that we have, to date, followed the same basic trail of thought.

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

OTWO - looks like purps posted about a week back. Looks like she is very busy is all.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/150230/1.ashx

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit