If evolution is true ?

by D wiltshire 88 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

D. Whiltshire,

Science in general and evolution in particular have nothing to say about God. Speculation about God is not within the province of science. Hence, you can speculate that God used the natural process of evolution to create or you can speculate that such divine intervention was not necessary. Such speculation is within the realm of philosopy and should not be confused with science, the scientific method, or theory building within science.

• joelbear
    joelbear

Jan,

it had to exist either as matter or as energy right?

• JanH
    JanH

Joel,

The relativity theory applies (as far as we know) only to this universe. This universe originated in the Big Bang. We can only trace everything back to the big bang singularity. Mass, energy and time itself originated there. Since time originated in the big bang, the phrase "before the big bang" is essentially meaningless. Of course, it may still be meaninful to talk about "causes" of the singularity, but then we are far outside anything we can reasonably expect to ever learn about.

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO

All this physics stuff confuses the hell out of me BTW. To start with, what is 'energy'? Isn't 'matter' just another form of 'energy'?

Do you think it's possible that man could evolve into some omnipotent being we could call 'God'?

What the hell is Time & space.

How many dimesions in this current dimension. String theory says there might be 13 or so.

What about multiple realities. Quantum physics apparently suggests that there may be multiple realities. So there is one reality where I'm an Atheist, but another where I might be, say, a good dub??????

Blah blah blah

It's too much. I'm confused!

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

I'm not say evolution is not true.
    I'm saying if evolution is true and God's does not exist. They both are included to understand the the conclusion I purposed.

I don't know for sure if evolution is fact or theory.

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • JanH
    JanH

D w,

I'm saying if evolution is true and God's does not exist. They both are included to understand the the conclusion I purposed.

Do you mean that if god doesn't exist then matter has always existed? I hope that is not what you meant.

It is true that the fact of evolution does not disprove God's existence. But it does invalidate the most intuitively (if not rationally) convincing argument for the existence of God, the so-called "by design" argument.

I don't know for sure if evolution is fact or theory.
    It is indeed both.

The fact of evolution is the observed phenomena in nature we call evolution. The theory of evolution (the one that is overwhelmingly supported by evidence) is the synthetic theory of evolution after Hamilton and Fisher, often called the Neo-Darwinian theory of evolution (combining Darwin with new knowledge of genes, essentially).

To put it simpler, Darwin observed evolution (fact) and proposed an explanation of it (theory). So evolution is both fact and theory.

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

There's some good stuff on evolution at the following site.
    Lots of interesting research by Alan F and others there.

* http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/index2.htm

Ranchette

• Francois
    Francois

IMO, you got off track with the first phrase, to wit: "If evolution is true and God doesn’t exist..."

Is that really the limit of your imagination? How 'bout God created everything and evolution was his technique? From where do you get the illicit idea that the fact of evolution necessarily precludes the existence of God?

By this act of philosophical exclusion, you state that God's range of action is limited by your imagination. And a limited God isn't God at all. If the real God conflicts with what you've been convinced about him via fundamentalist religion and literalist interpretation of the bible, then you're ready to pitch the idea of God altogether.

Think about it.

Francois

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO

Francois

How 'bout God created everything and evolution was his technique? From where do you get the illicit idea that the fact of evolution necessarily precludes the existence of God?
    Evolution was God's technique in creating life?; it's possible. I find evolution to be quite amazing, a very beautiful process...but also very brutal. I can believe that a God might have used it to create living things...but I have a hard time believing a loving God would!
  • Satanus
    Satanus

DWilt

Matter came from energy, energy came from spirit. From where did spirit come?????????

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit