FemaleThinking?

by R.Crusoe 99 Replies latest jw friends

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Thanks for the clarification RC. What you said makes a lot of sense, probably to very few people. LOL. I actually agree with you though.

It reminds me of an incident when I was in nursing where a woman with dementia was telling everyone on the street her house was on fire and everyone was saying oh, don't listen to her, she has dementia. Only trouble is, her house was really on fire!

Or if someone who is mentally ill, says something very different but perhaps true and profound, it is dismissed because they are mentally ill regardless of how intelligent or brilliant they may be in some areas. Then if ever anyone who is not mentally ill agrees with them, the majority may say, well that is the view that mentally ill people hold so you must be mentally ill also.

To relate to our current thread on female thinking, if a woman makes a really logical point on a subject, is the point then dismissed as illogical just because it was made by a woman? To many minds, yes! I had this experience on another thread, where we were arguing creation vs atheism. The poster I was arguing with thought I was a man, when I informed him I was a woman, he suddenly began making PMS jokes in response to my arguments.

Could we define this phenomenon as "collective consciousness?" Those who are outside the collective will always be viewed with suspicion? Still, it is important for society to always have its "different" views as without them, how would the collective consciousness ever be challenged as to whether it was really collective delusion? This ties in with what I said about stereotypes. We do not have to buy into them. By the language we choose to use as individuals we either perpetuate the collective delusion or we challenge it. One path is easy, the other takes courage, (or perhaps idiocy!)

Cog

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

beksbks - but the generalisation does work - cos most are like that, thus the generalisation, there are exceptions of course but the most, the general populace of women......

I've pinged

waiting for you to pong.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Lou Belle your generalization doesn't work. Have you met "most" women? No, you haven't. Have you talked to "most" women so as to know how they think? No, you haven't. There are close to 4 billion women in this world. How many of them do you personally know? Your generalizations mean nothing!

Cog (pong)

• frankiespeakin
  • golf2
    golf2

How is it, that man cannot figure out what a women's thinking, yet, man knows what God is thinking?

Golf

• Satanus
    Satanus

I read somewhere, that at least w regard to men, women feel, then think, then act.

S

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Satanus, I think that was in one of the society's publications. We all know how much they know about women!

cd

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    R.Crusoe.......in my expierence with the opposite sex, I have found that just when you think you know them, it changes.

I have found this to be true about people in general. Doesn't matter what gender.

• Satanus
    Satanus

cd

True on both counts. However, i heard it somewhere else.

S

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Well, in the strict biological sense, it is true. Women do feel, think and then act. However, it is equally true of men. All human beings taken in sensory information from their surroundings (feel), process in their brain (formulate thoughts) and then respond to the stimuli (act). So, while the statement is true, it isn't indicative of anything specific to females.

I have often heard it said that women are more expressive of their emotions. I don't agree with this statement either. I think they often express their emotions differently and are more comfortable expressing certain emotions over others as are men. Again, it is not truly known whether this is due to innate biological differences or cultural conditioning. Newest research seems to suggest it is a combination of both. Traditionally, men have been more comfortable expressing anger and women have been more comfortable expressing sadness and empathy. However, since cultural revolution in the 60's we have seen changes in this regard also. I have observed many more angry women unafraid to express it, and many more empathetic, compassionate men in recent years, also unafraid to express it. So it raises the question again, how much of this "tendency" is really due to biological differences and how much was due to cultural conditioning of gender role stereotypes?

Cog

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit