The Word of the Day is Inculcate

by GoddessRachel 37 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Inculcation can be used for good things. For instance, if children were not inculcated, they would never learn to talk. Repeating the language helps them learn to talk, since that is how they learn what different words mean. It also helps people learn new skills. One can be inculcated, for instance, to use the computer and master programming. Fully honest business can be inculcated in people, too--and such businesses, when regulators mind their own damn business, usually last until some corrupt successor usurps it.

However, the way the Watchtower Society uses the word, it is always a bad thing. It is always bad to inculcate in children (or adults) that they need to go to five meetings a week, screech around for hours in field circus, waste their lives on menial jobs, and then donate to the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. Or, that if they don't do all the above, they are going to die. That is misinculcation, or inculcating dishonesty and/or laziness.

Yes, inculcation can be a good thing. But when you inculcate mysticism, it is always bad. The Watchtower Society is mysticism multiplied by mysticism. And that can do nothing but produce rotten fruitages. And none of it is to anyone's benefit except the Watchtower Society.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel
    Who would have thought one little word could bring back so many memories? Especially since the word itself is not evil.

I know, Unique1, that's the same reaction I know I had. Involuntary shudders, and like WTWizard brought out, the word itself can be a good thing, just not in the way the WTS uses it.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Inculcation can be used for good things. For instance, if children were not inculcated, they would never learn to talk. Repeating the language helps them learn to talk, since that is how they learn what different words mean. It also helps people learn new skills. One can be inculcated, for instance, to use the computer and master programming. Fully honest business can be inculcated in people, too--and such businesses, when regulators mind their own damn business, usually last until some corrupt successor usurps it.

I remember hearing the distinction between "training" and "education". A dog can be TRAINED to do tricks. Training can be where you learn to do something over and over.

Education is where people actually learn to use their minds to do intelligent, non-rote things.

I would say people at the Kingdom Hall are being trained in obedience. I don't think they are being educated.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Or was it incultake?

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Oh Rachel!!

I haven't heard that word since I was last at the KH I think! lol

BB

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

blast from the past - I remember inculcate very clearly. What about "redound?" Does anyone remember that one? It was in the Watchtower all the time. Means to add to, as in "redound to his glory."

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I'm seeing some heavy emotional reactions in this thead in reaction to the single word "inculcate." What's really ironic is that the word actually appears only once in the NWT, at Deut. 6:7. It's almost amazing that the WTS can hammer away at a single point and stretch it so far as to affect people's lives so profoundly, when it's really not something the Bible talks about to a great extent. I acknowledge, of course, that the Bible talks about child-rearing in many other places without using the word, "inculcate," but the WTS has perverted the concept into a frenzy of control that has damaged many lives.

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

As far as the Witness's are concerned the word means to "Brain Wash."

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

I don't remember ever hearing "redound," Hortensia. Maybe that was just in your area? But yes, it's the same concept, a single word slaughtered by the WTS! How tragic!

Good observation, NeonMadman. I noticed that with me personally. When I opened my email and saw the word "inculcate," I had this weird gut reaction to it. And like I said before I know it was one of my tally words because they used to overuse it during the assembly talks. It really was the word of the day at the assemblies!!

• loosie
    loosie

This is one of those words that you don't normally hear outside of hte borg.

I dislike this word a lot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit