The Word of the Day is Inculcate

by GoddessRachel 37 Replies latest jw friends

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

I have a word of the day emailed to me and this one brought back memories. This is one of the words I used to tally in my notebook at assemblies and meetings to count how many times they used it in a talk (and to pass the time):

Word of the Day for Tuesday, January 15, 2008

inculcate \in-KUHL-kayt; IN-kuhl-kayt\, transitive verb:

To teach and impress by frequent repetition or instruction.

It is difficult, if not impossible, to inculcate in those who do not want to know, the curiosity to know; I think it is also impossible to kill this need in those who really want to know.
    -- T. V. Rajan, "The Aha! Factor", The Scientist , March 21, 2002
    A tragic indication that even the most noble attempts to inculcate children with the basic principles of universal humanism -- that, whatever our differences, we are more alike than unalike -- will founder against the rocks of deeply held prejudices of their parents.
    -- Gary Younge, "Sesame sans frontieres", The Guardian , October 14, 2002
    But Havelock would insist that the epics constitute the accumulated wisdom of the culture, beyond which the audience (thoroughly inculcated with the teachings of the epics) cannot go.
    -- Michael E. Hobart and Zachary S. Schiffman, Information Ages

Inculcate is from Latin inculcare, "to tread upon, to force upon," from in-, "in, on" + calcare, "to trample," from calx, calc-, "heel."

• Gopher
    Gopher

Inculcate reminds me of another verb: "indoctrinate".

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

The CFO and I play this game everyday. I drop off the daily journal in his office, flip through his dictionary, close my eyes and point to a word. This morning, my finger landed on the word: hedonism. I busted out laughing and he blushed.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel
    Inculcate reminds me of another verb: "indoctrinate".

Very good point, Gopher. LOL at Sweetface!

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

Say, this got me thinking about the scripture in Deuteronomy 6 that the Witnesses use to say you should always talk about Jehovah everywhere you go (to inculcate the truth into your children or whatever).

Do other versions and translations use the word inculcate? Anyone know? I will go look it up...

• DT
    DT

Inculcate has a funny rhythm. The word really stands out in the boring boasting sessions.

• Dogaradodya
  • Gopher
    Gopher

Most other versions say "impress" or "teach diligently" there. Note also the male orientation of the NWT ("son" instead of "children").

Deut 6:6,7

NWT: 6 And these words that I am commanding you today must prove to be on your heart; 7 and you must inculcate them in your son and speak of them when you sit in your house and when you walk on the road and when you lie down and when you get up.

KJV: And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

NIV: These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Thanks but NO thanks... I have had enough INCULCATION to last me a life time.ROFLMAO

Please ,in the future, keep your word of the day to yourself. OMG You just gave me a migrane...

NMG

• Gopher
    Gopher

A migraine = an inculcated headache.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit