Question For American Travellers:

by Englishman 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Andee
    Andee

I am one that also really doesn't like to fly. I agree with MD that it's still the safest way to travel.

I live in California and now we are living with the threat of our major bridges being blown up.

I would fly and travel over those bridges in a minute. I just don't have the $$ to do it. Yes, I would be a bit apprehensive, but I'm not letting terrorists dictate my life.

I figure it this way. For years I lived with the threat of 99.99 of the worlds population being annihilated "any day now" for years. I can certainly live with this.

Andee

• TR
    TR

No problems here. I'll being flying to Vegas in June.

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• zev
    zev

Having flown once for business...to texas...and seeing how lax the security was....[before 9/11]i'm in no hurry to fly again.

i've already turned down 2 opportunitys to attend business functions in the midwest, because of what happened on 9/11 and unless its really something special....i'm taking the ground transports for the time being.

-Zev
    -The "Truth" is out there! TRUST NO ONE!
    I WANT TO BELIEVE!

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

I didnt't want to fly for about two weeks after the terrorist attacks.
    But I don't want to let anyone rob me of my freedom by overcoming me with anxiety.

I'd get on a plane today if I could.
    I'm always ready to go!

Ranchette

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I fly pretty regularly with my job - usually once every two weeks. It's all local though. Within Texas or Oklahoma or Arkansas. Typically I fly Southwest, not the major airlines. (Southwest, by the way, is the only airline that hasn't had any layoffs in their 30 year history!) But every airport I've gone to has National Guards with rifles at every entrance and many of the gates. Everytime I go through security my computer bag gets thoroughly searched and I've even been "patted down" by a few cute security guards.

I have no issues with flying right now. Security seems tight at every airport I've been to and I love men in uniforms!

Andi

• FormerOne
    FormerOne

I would still travel by air, figuring that now is probably about as safe as you're going to get with all the new security measures.

I only wish I had money right now to travel and take advantage of all the great deals (airfare, hotels, etc.). With tourism down so much right now, you'd be able to enjoy the major vacation spots without all the crowds!

• Grout
    Grout

Not only am I flying, but I recently flew American (strike 1) cross-country (strike 2) on a 767 (strike 3).

Fear of terrorism is kind of like belief in the lottery -- it works only on those who can't do math.

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Hey Eguy

I'm flying to Toronto later this week and, quite frankly, I'm convinced I'm going to die but hey, I'm not gonna let that stop me! For a few weeks after the terrorist attacks, I was concerned about getting on a plane but now I'm not really worried about that. I just normally have a phobia about flying; otherwise, I think now is probably the safest time to fly as the security is so much tighter. And hey, being patted down by good looking security guys sounds good to me!

Dana

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...
    Closing Time, Semisonic

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

As I've taken off in far more planes than I've landed in, I've always had a healthy respect for flying and safety. This hasn't changed how I feel about that.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• thewiz
    thewiz

I used to deliver to Logan several times. I drove a truck for Office Depot, or was it Office Max, for about a month in Sept. of 1995?

I was absolutley shocked, the number of boxes I could just drop off right inside the terminal. No one x-rayed or examined anything, just a quick sign and then I was off.

I even stood around and asked, "aren't you going to check this stuff?"

I drove away telling myself, "Gee, how easy was that?! wouldn't be too hard for someone to come right in here and blow the place up!"

Too many Die hard movies!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit