Question For American Travellers:

by Englishman 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

How do you feel about travelling by air since the events of Sept 11?

Have these occurences just made you uneasy, or were they enough to put a stop to flying altogether?

I told some of my pub buddies that I would ask this question, the news media have indicated that most Americans are refusing to travel anywhere by plane at present.

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

Normally we fly home for Christmas (hubby's family). This year, I just want to stay home. It's not a fear really, but more of a lack of confidence in the airline security.

closer

• Tina
    Tina

(((((eguy))))))
    I'm gonna be flyin about soon. I actually feel safer now due to the added and tightened security measures. luv,T

Jehovahs Witnesses,Proudly Serving Their Corporate Masters!

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

I was not particularly fond of flying before Sept. 11, so I am probably not a good one to answer this. I do, however, feel that now is probably one of the safest times to fly due to all of the extra security measures in place.

While on vacation recently, (we drove) we did meet some tourists from Germany and asked them if they were afraid to visit the US. Their response was that they hesitated at first, but felt like they needed to keep living and not hide in a cave.

"By doubting we come at truth" -Cicero

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

i don't have any fear to get on a plane. i'm traveling overseas in dec and (hopefully!) to vegas in jan and no worries here.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

E'Man,

I'd be happy to fly again since travel is safer now than before September 11. I don't have any plans to travel and no business trips are required of me so perhaps I can't give a truly honest answer. My wife on the other hand is dead against air travel and suggests we take a driving vacation next year. She would not be happy if I went on a trip at this time.

Some colleagues of mine cancelled their airline tickets and drove to Chicago (6 hours each way) recently. I guess this was a knee-jerk reaction. Plenty of other people I know have resumed flying though. I think there are many mixed feelings about air travel.

THirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

Well, your odds of being killed in traffic are still way higher than your risk in flying, so wotthe'ell, right?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I'm actually from Canada, so I don't know if this helps - although
    Canadians and Americans are pretty similar.

I run a company that owns, among other things, 12 travel agencies.
    Since September 11, our travel business has been down by 40.6%
    from the same period last year. Industry news from elsewhere on
    the continent indicates the same thing.

So, although I would not hesitate to travel, many people are holding off.
    You have always been, and still are, 1000 times safer in the air than
    in your car. Think about it - 20 times more people were killed on the
    ground on Sept 11 than in the air. Every year, 30000 Americans and
    3000 Canadians are killed in car accidents. That means that almost
    5000 people have been killed in cars since Sept 11, yet people still
    do not hesitate to drive rather than fly.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I flew after the 11th, with no problems. Not fearing attack, just the f-ing ruddy plane flights. Just bad weather. Otherwise,I'm not afraid at all to fly.

• detective
    detective

I'll be flying later this week. I'm antsy about it but I wouldn't say I'm afraid. Of course, ask me again after they close the doors and we're taxi-ing.

From RunningMan:
    I'm actually from Canada, so I don't know if this helps - although
    Canadians and Americans are pretty similar.

This reminds me of the Kids in the Hall episode where one of the characters said something to the effect of "I'm Canadian. That's like Americans except without the gun".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit