Would you go to the Memorial?

by freedomfighter 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Honesty
    Honesty

Would you go to the Memorial?

I got physically ill the last one I attended back in 2003 when I realised the J dub yas were denying the Christ they claim to follow.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

First of all; No.

-I was always disappointed at the memorial, some years more than others, depending on who would hold the talk.

My feeling was that this was the ONLY thing we had as JWs that had a deeper emotional, spiritual touch to it (or could have), and yet there was never any reverence among those who came. Before it started, people would be cackling on like it was any other meeting, the ceiling lights would be at their usual fluorescent-ultra-piercing-blinding-bright, and as soon as the wine was passed around, we would often get an anecdote about what exact kind of wine could be used, and how one could make it(!), because some elders were into making wine in their cellars... And likewise the bread - a description of how it should be made... Then, suddenly it would kick into 'business mode' and tell the new attenders that they should now attend every meeting from now on etc. Took the whole potential "magic" out of the whole thing. No reverence at all. Bleh. Now it's the same to me, 'cause it's all bull, but it bothered me growing up.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

truthseeker:

Snakes, when did you taste the wafers?

the first time when i was a little kid..one of the older elders thought it would be funny to let the kids try it afterwards.... you should have seen all the kids making really foul puckered up faces as they were trying to find someplace out of sight to spit the stuff out..a run for the bathroom....... it really is dry..

I tried it again many years later as an adult for the same reason...out of curiosity.... I had my best friend (the PO) give me one afterwards........ same reaction...dry.... yuck... and what I dont understand... I can understand whoever brings the emblems bringing them in a large ziploc bag for health reasons...in case someone actually partook...but why put them back in the bag after and take them home? Why not just throw them away at the Kingdom Hall? No one at home is going to eat them... and there is nothing holy about them...

Snakes ()

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher
    one of the older elders thought it would be funny to let the kids try it afterwards

Wow, am I the only one here who thinks that seems kind of disrespectful? I guess he figured the kids would never get to partake since they are of the earthly class.

• marmot
    marmot

I'm not even going for my parents' sake, in fact I'm not going precisely because it would give them false hope. I don't believe in the divine inspiration of the Bible so it would do me no good to go to an event out of fear of human interpretation of said book.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I can't realistically ever see myself going, but may consider it out of curiousity. I so don't believe in any of that stuff anymore that it would be like going to a bad school play about the tooth fairy.

• freedomfighter
    freedomfighter

Your opinions are appreciated.

I like the point that it would give false hope to my wife and others in the cong.

Also i do not want to be part of their bragging about numbers - numbers are very important to them ( More than People ).

Plus, every year it is the same outline for the talk, about why " most of us in this hall won't partake etc". Doesn't help my self esteem any. Then as was pointed out, the great info-mercial about attending regularly with "Jehovah's People".

I respect my wife's rights to freedom of worship - however knowing what i know now ( Tongue twister), it's not for me. I think i will come away feeling like a second rate citizen. No can't do it.

As for covering up child abuse. ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

FF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit