Special announcement last night just for our area

by seek2find 29 Replies latest jw friends

• seek2find
    seek2find

Well, the letter was read and it applied to our area. It seems that a lot of people that attend the District convention in our area are not following the rooming arrangements. So the letter was strong wording about using just the rooms on the list even if it means traveling 45 miles to do so. Just wanted to post what it was about since I brought it up last week. seek2find

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Here we go again. Watchtower forcing the drones to stay in the flea-bag hotels & motels they hire with holy spirit. Same ole Same ole. They should do everyone a favor and let them find their own accommodations.

Dismembered

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So they insist that you stay way out there, instead of pay an extra 10 bucks (sometimes) to stay
    right near the facility. Sounds pretty selfish on THEIR part.

I would develop some kind of car sickness condition. "If I have to ride more than 20 minutes in
    the morning, I get too dizzy and might as well just stay in my room until the afternoon. I think
    it has something to do with blood pressure, blood sugar, and mornings. Okay, I will stay in the
    listed hotel 45 minutes away. I will try to arrive before the lunch break is over."

• carla
    carla

Why the hell should they care where the jw's stay unless they are getting kickbacks somehow from the hotel? If they are getting free rooms for CO's and such shouldn't the org have to report that as income or as a donation? seeing as they are so honest and all.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The letter defines the Society as a business directing it's employees rather a religion interested in worship and faith and good deeds.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

You see the more rooms you book in their designated hotels, the more FREE rooms you get for the Bethel Getsapo and Convention coordinating committee

• dinah
    dinah

It seems to me this is just another example of how they makes things so much harder than they need bo be. I wonder if a non-witness (or undercover apostate) could call one of those hotels on the list and find out what is it the deal for the WT? It HAS to be something, or they wouldnt insist on using certain hotels.

They used to say we should use the ones they choose because it will save us money. They also said dubs not staying in the approved hotels made it harder to broker a deal for accomodations at the conventions. In other words, if we stayed in non-approved hotels all the hotels would not negogiate with them for a better deal. How much of a discount does your average JW receive for using an approved hotel?

I cannot imagine having to drive 45 miles from a hotel to the convention site. That is ridiculous!

• seek2find
    seek2find

Loyalty to the organization is the paramount thing to them. It's a messed up life in a messed up Religion. But it seems like I'm trapped inside, like an animal caught in a trap with no way to escape without chewing off my foot(my Family). Stay and keep family or leave and loose it all. Those are the choices. Neither one a good one. I have Faith that God will show me the answer and what his will is, in his due time. seek2find

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

oh gosh I remember those "accommodations". I attended the assembly in Long Beach back in the day. Outside of the business district and to the north, Long Beach is a ghetto. Guess where alot of the hotels were? You bet, in the ghetto. I stopped by a few just to see them. I would never stay there. It was a disgusting hotel in a disgusting neighborhood.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    How much of a discount does your average JW receive for using an approved hotel?

Nowadays with the internet and special deals for certain credit card holders or
    members of a union, etc. etc. etc., there are many deals out there. You can find
    another deal if you don't have the WTS deal.

Back in the day before the internet made it easy to compare and search for deals,
    you could hardly find the deals the WTS got. The hotels simply made their "best"
    deal available to the JW's so that their hotel was full. The average JW could save
    perhaps 10 to 40% using this arrangement. That was sometimes like getting one
    night free off the regular price.

I have done searches this past summer for deals in New Jersey with and without
    the WTS break. I could match their deal quite easily on the internet. Many hotels
    that were on the list had no more rooms at the WTS rate, but would give me a rate
    that was 10 dollars a night higher. I am certain that waiting until 60 days or so prior
    to the event would have led to a new discount rate that matched or even beat the
    WTS rate. I just cannot buy nonrefundable airline tickets until I have a place to stay,
    so I could never wait.

I may accompany my wife to the convention city again this year, without actually
    attending. The mad scramble for rooms has already started this week for the JW's.
    I think my plan will be simple. If I don't get the room at WTS rates that I want, I just
    won't tell the wife what I paid when I don't use the WTS rates. As with many things,
    the best thing for everyone to do is to not tell others their business.

The only reason I will even stay at "their" hotels is because the wife would notice it
    if no JW's are at our hotel.

Edited to add:

I just cannot buy nonrefundable airline tickets until I have a place to stay,
    so I could never wait.

I may try this. Book the room at the WTS rate, regardless of where it is. Wait until
    close to the time of the travel. Cancel the WTS room when I find a better deal. That's
    my typical vacation method.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit