Special announcement last night just for our area

by seek2find 29 Replies latest jw friends

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

thats hilarious............ i would say...... brother the last two times i stayed at rooms on the list ........ unless i book the most expensive one they have........ which will go first............ i get flea bag nasty hotels that i wouldnt let my worst enemy stay in............ so if these so called LOVeING BROTHERS cant find places of a reasonable nature that are safe for me to stay in........ ill take it upon myself. by the way i got a 4 star room less than a mile from the site for15 dollars less than the societys so called best rate.............. so mind your own damn business

tho the best route is........ i stayed with family......... or WHATEVER to not reveal where you did stay............. wait what the hell am i saying.............. the best route is not to go at all

• 5go
    5go
    One of the non participating hotels provided a list of all convention delegates that stayed with them last year to the rooming department,

From what little I know from my pizza days and hotel management. They would just say "no, there was plenty of those badges in our hotel last year without your arrangement". Though there is no info block on your name and who gets a room in fact it quite the opposite legal obligation they're supposed to say who is in a room if asked. They wouldn't keep track of it for that purpose nor care too. They barely do it for the legal obligation they have.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I would understand this if they worded it like; "We hope many of you will take advantage of the savings, and work with the arrangement to make these savings continue year to year. "

But insistence that one stays at a hotel on the list never did set well with me. I have heard of some who did not use the list, went to a hotel on the list close to the assembly date, and actually got a room with about the same price, not even mentioning that they were Jehovah's Witnesses.

I used to stay at unapproved motels sometimes - I found many to be lower in price and I didn't feel like I was being watched by the large contingent of Jw's there.

Jeff

• changeling
    changeling
    The letter defines the Society as a business directing it's employees rather a religion interested in worship and faith and good deeds

Bingo!

changeling

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

money grubbing control freaks

• megaflower
    megaflower

a few years back we had our district convention in Macon Georgia. The rooms were so bad. I woke up one night to bed bugs-ewww. We packed up and spent the rest of the night in the car. Yea, the brothers reaaly work hard to get us hoe-tels. disgusting. Gald we will not be attending any conventions this year, out and free

• megaflower
    megaflower

a few years back we had our district convention in Macon Georgia. The rooms were so bad. I woke up one night to bed bugs-ewww. We packed up and spent the rest of the night in the car. Yea, the brothers reaaly work hard to get us hoe-tels. disgusting. Gald we will not be attending any conventions this year, out and free

• VM44
    VM44

"So the letter was strong wording about using just the rooms on the list even if it means traveling 45 miles to do so"

Did the letter give an address as to where to submit the bill for the gas required to travel those 45 extra miles?

• VM44
    VM44

So what happens if you stay at a hotel/motel NOT on the approved list?

What will The Watchtower do to you? Did they say?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would like to go to all the "recommended" motel rooms about a day before the a$$embly bookings, gather up all the bedbugs in all the rooms, and turn them all loose in the Governing Body's headquarters. Then, when they complain, I would tell them that you wanted the witlesses to get these same bedbugs. Good enough for them, good enough for you.

Actually, I believe they are getting kickbacks. When an organization books a block of rooms, it is common practice for the motel to give back a percentage of the revenues in exchange for the business. Of course, that is reflected in the price (which is why it is sometimes possible to do better on your own). Any kickbacks they do get go directly into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. Which is one more reason to, if you have to go at all, to make your own arrangements. You may (may) have to pay an extra $10 a night, but you might also save that or more on gas alone. And I would rather pay $60 a night for a motel room that is clean funded (all of it goes to the chain itself) than pay $50 a night, even if I saved nothing on driving and got the same quality, knowing that even a penny of that could end up in the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund.

So they give you a hard time about it. One thing that might work is, if they start hounding you about the room you book, you threaten that you won't be going at all if they continue that attitude. Be prepared to make good on that threat if they hound you again. Then book a room independently, without referring yourself as a delegate. They lose the kickback they would have got (so it won't go into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund). Other hotels might see that signing on no longer guarantees full bookings, and that will create rooming shortages (at least official room shortages) in the future, which in turn will cause other delegates to book without that damn list. Either way, those kickbacks are going to disappear.

All said, the simplest and most effective way is to just not go at all, if that's an option.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit