I Have a Commercial Janitorial Service - And Proud of It !

by flipper 64 Replies latest jw friends

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

Look down on you? No way! I know how ones service hours had to be good enough to suit the local elders cleaning service , to be an "OWNER" as a jw one would have had to be a pretty darn good witness.

i think the reason some of us joke about it and have some sarcasm when we talk about janitors and window cleaners etc , is because these "janitors" were the men who gave us marital advice and stood as judges and its not that "janitors" are uneducated its that "janitors" do not have psychological, domestic abuse , sexual abuse, marital counseling training and yet as witnesses we would have to take their word as god's word and try harder to please people who couldnt be pleased .

• jambon1
    jambon1

I have read this on here as well. Just a laugh maybe? I too have my own cleaning business. Although it started very slowly in the past due to me 'seeking 1st the kingdom', pioneering etc. In the past few years I have done very well for myself. Picked up a lot of really good & well paying jobs. I make a very good wage. My customers love me & I get on well with them. I am proud of my business. Everything I have has come from good, honest, hard graft. I get to spend a lot of time with my kids. Everything is just swell.

• carla
    carla

From a non jw point of view Mr Flipper, I never took any of the remarks about janitors being so much about the work itself or the intelligence of janitors as a whole but rather that janitors or ditch diggers for that matter are not qualified or trained to be dealing with sexual abuse victims, broken marriages, etc.... the society puts people who are not trained to deal with such sensitive issues in positions of authority to make life decisions for other members. In almost all churches the ministers, pastors, and even priests are required to take at least family counseling classes and often more psychology classes to deal with problems that the cong may come to them with. They are trained counselors, yes, they will put a religious bias to their therapy but they are trained to deal with family and often abuse issues. If it is an issue they cannot handle they do not have a problem telling the person to seek further professional help. Something that is not done in jw's.

Wishing you continued success in your business!

• justhuman
    justhuman

I'm glad that you are doing fine with your job. Personally I worked 12 years cleaning offices, carpets,windows, floors and toilets...Personally I don't have anything against janitors. For sure I never considered them as stupid, or as lower people.

Everyone is important no matter what your profession is

Is just that louzy WT's laws that we feel we should get more education in this world, and the fact that we never had the chance to develope our skills

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Flipper, I don't put too much stock in degrees or titles. There is nothing in this world that a college can teach that a person with a library card, an internet connection and a willingness to learn can't acheive on their own. Degrees and papers aren't for you, the individual. They are for everyone else. It's not that you know what you know, it's that THEY think they know what you know by the papers you have in your posession. Some of the smartest people I've ever known have never gone to college. Some of the most successful people in the world don't even have a high school diploma. My dad is one of those people. On the other side of that coin, I have a very good friend who has two PhDs. What did he do for his entire carreer? He was a security guard; a rent-a-cop.

I never really cared about what someone does for a living. I have friends who are CEOs and friends that are short order cooks at Huddle House. It doesn't matter. (In fact, my friend that is a short order cook at Huddle House is waaaay smarter than my CEO friend. It's kinda funny. I bet most people don't go to eat at the Huddle House and imagine that the guy frying their eggs is a published author....) Me? Well, I've done everything from cleaning toilets to electrical engineering. Sometimes in the same day. I wasn't any dumber when I was cleaining a toilet, and I wasn't any smarter when I was engineering electronics. But, I was always me, and I still am. People who judge a person's entire life and worth as a human being based solely on what they happen to be doing for a living at that moment are shallow and usually surround themselves with people just as shallow as they are. If you had a best friend and they switched jobs, I think they would still be your best friend. So, my janitor friend, that's cool with me. Keep posting. And, if you ever become a CEO, keep me in mind for a nice upper management type job, will ya? Just keep posting. :)

• Undecided
    Undecided

When I was fading out of the JWs I was friends with a janitorial business owner who was a JW and he had more money than I ever did. He had a nice boat and a condominium at the beach. We went fishing on his boat several times at the cost. Tragically he was killed in a car accident. I respected his business ability.

Ken P.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Yeah flipper's right, you can make a ton of money doing this work if you charge right, of course it helps if you have day job. I won't take on a job unless I'm making $50 to $100 per hour, and you would be surprised at the number of people who'll pay it if you look and act like, and know, what your doing. The funny thing is my day job is Environmental Services manager for a 99 bed hospital, telling janitors what to do.

sooner7nc

• snowbird
    snowbird

I love you, Mr. Flipper, and I know exactly what you mean.

In my childhood, we were sharecroppers - looked down on by both Blacks and Whites.

There were 12 of us kids with no State or Federal aid whatsoever. But we made it! I graduated in 1971 as valedictorian by default. The actual val was too great with child to receive the honor. Happily, she and the baby's father got married and are still together - 37 years later.

My biggest mistake was allowing the elders to talk me into dropping out of college. However, I have a daughter who is a freshman at one of the top universities in the state of Alabama. She received scholarship offers from all the top schools in the nation - Ivy League included.

So, to quote Ma Dear: "It's not what you're called, it's what you answer to!"

Peace out.

Sylvia

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

There are exceptions to everything.

With that said, lets get real. I paint cars. You clean stuff. Somebody else washes windows.

What are our qualifictions that would give us the idea we can tell other people how to live thier lives?

We know that...they don't. That's the difference, it's not about what we do, it's when we do what we shouldn't.

• bite me
    bite me

Nice post Flipper. Sounds like you have a good job and love what you do. Hey when you run your own business atleast you can run your own hours. I always thought that would be neat to do. You are correct when said, if you haven't ran a business before a person would have no clue as to what to do. I am very proud of you for stepping up to the plate and sharing with us what you do. I have noticed the jokes of janitorial services on here too. When I see those I always think, hey atleast they have a job and aren't feeding off the states aid. Hey if it came down to it, I'd probably do the same thing. I think a lot of people on here would. I would rather do the work that no one else wants to do then live off the state. That would be more embarassing then anything. Look at our garbage men, now that takes a lot of work. Yes, it is a crappy job but someone has to do it. If it wasn't for individuals wanting to really work hard for their earnings we would be living in a land fill. ick!

Thanks again for sharing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit