I Have a Commercial Janitorial Service - And Proud of It !

by flipper 64 Replies latest jw friends

• ferret
    ferret

I have to agree with you Mr. Flipper I raised a family of eight on Janitorial jobs as business owner. When my youngest son graduated we went into the building maintenance business. We made a good living at it. As of Dec.31 I was able to retire. Oodles of money to be made in the business. Congratulations on your success. Peace out ,

Woody(aka) ferret

• changeling
    changeling

If any one has insulted you, shame on them.

Most of us realize that had we not been raised as witness we would be better educated and have careers more suited to our personalites and interests and not just a means to an end.

I know many successful people in the janitorial business, I feel quite sure you must be one of the best.

changeling

• exwitless
    exwitless

Mr. Flipper - I hear ya. LDB and I owned an office cleaning business for 14 years. We gave up good paying full time jobs with benefits to do it. We thought we would be "pleasing Jehovah" by "simplifying our lives" .

We were scammed, really, into buying another couple's business so they could go on a 4 year long vacation in the Dominican Republic and label themselves as "need greaters" (I HATE that term.) We were young and only dubs for about a year when they started grooming us to fall right into their slimy self-serving plan. So we trusted them, and they got away with a whole heck of a lot of money, and we were left with tremendous debt. The business never made a fraction of what they said it did or would. We literally lived off credit cards for years. We're still in terrible debt because of them. But now that LDB went back to college and got a nice job and I'm working full-time as a nurse, we're seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

Owning a janitorial business is hard. It's very dirty, physical, and thankless work. No one cares if you spent 20 hours over the weekend waxing the tile floors till their so shiny you could put makeup on in the reflection. No one cares that you had to unclog the toilet (again) and clean up poop-water all over the bathroom because someone thought "oh, the janitors will get that".

Yes, you can make what seems like good money; but there are a lot of expenses. And there are NO benefits. Many people look down on janitors because they assume they couldn't possibly get any other job. And janitors seem to be the first ones blamed if something is missing, broken, etc.

I've definitely learned that janitors deserve respect as much as anyone else. And I'm the first one to come to their defense if they get accused of something at my office.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

This is the funniest joke of a thread I've read all year!!! A smart cleaner haha ... that's a good one!

I hear what you're saying Senior Flipper. I don't know if people actually look down on people in that profession as they mock the fact that such high numbers of JW's do it for work, especially elders and pioneers. But when you get into a profession that pays well (as you pointed out) and it's hard to get out of it, even if it is sometimes a mindless job.

I drive a truck and I hate it. I don't use my head 90% of the time I'm working, but it pays well and without a university education or a trade, I'm not sure where else I could go and make what I do. Am I dumb? I don't think I am. I had a full scholarship from the university of Osaka (I have a family in with an English prof. there) that I turned down to raise a family. With that I could have done much, much more then what I am, but you know what? I am where I am, and I do what I do and as for right now, I'm paying my bills and raising my kids so they'll have that opportunity when they're older. I'm breaking the cycle, as it seems you are as well.

Kwin (the dumb trucker)

• flipper
    flipper

ABANDONED- Hey guy. You are cool. You have never said anything negative, don't worry. You are one of the kinder persons on this board. I'm thankful my wife and I are doin' O.K. as well ! Thanks for the kkind words, bro ! Peace.

OTWO- Don't worry guy ! I was expressing this in a sarcastically funny way ! I don't have my smiley emoticons anymore, they up and left ! Bizarrely. So I couldn't post a smile with my humor! Do you know where they may have gone ? Thanks for the support and kind words. It is funny how the elders do act important as they strut around like corporation officials ! LOL! You have always seemed very knowledgeable and educated to me ! I agree though, that many of us have educated ourselves more after leaving the " cult mind controlled" witnesses !

JELCAT- I agree with you. If you find something you are happy doing and find fulfillment in doing then stick with it. I'm glad you enjoyed doing it !

SERENDIPITY- Hey, thanks sis ! Hope I opened some minds too ! Thanks.

MOMZCRAZY- Glad you and hubby are doing good sis ! So you, having done what I do for a living then you understand what it takes to be self employed ! I have always told my kids as they grew up to just do the best job you can do at whatever you try to do for work ! Peace.

PRIEST 73- It's cool you help your buddy on jobs. The million dollar question is - does he pay you well ? LOL!

GOPHER- Yeah, Gopher, It is an interesting experience being self employed.

Yes. It can be a really good business . Sounds like the elder you knew made a go of it ! Hey, I'm not rich, but my wife and I are doin' O.K. We pay our bills and have a little set aside

• loosie
    loosie

I don't judge people by their occupation either.

I think what people are saying is that when elders who are janitors take on the role of marriage counseler or judge, its harmfull to the person being counseled. The people who are priests, pastors or counselers have had training to do that. Elders normally haven't that training.

It would be like me I have computer training. I wouldn't attempt to be someone marriage counseler.

• flipper
    flipper

FERRET- Great job Ferret. Congratulations on raising your 8 children by doing commercial janitorial ! I'm so glad you got to retire ! Hope I do too, someday ! Peace.

CHANGELING- Don't worry Changeling, nobody insulted me. Thanks for caring though. Like yourself, being raised by an elder father and accompaning mother I would have liked to get a college education , probably like yourself, and would have pursued psychology perhaps or even a sport as I was athletic enogh to maybe get a sports scholarship. But, you probably might have enjoyed another career yourself, do you wonder sometimes ? I noticed your " I'm stressed " remark on my other thread. Let me know, I'm curious what else you would have wanted to do. Thanks for the kind words though, sis Changeling, it is sweet of you.

EXWITLESS- Great post EX! Thanks ! I'm so sorry those witness janitors abused you and your husband financially like that ! Awful ! I hope you are seeing the " light at the end of the tunnel" financially now, as you say . I had to laugh out loud at your explanations of what we as janitors go through ! You hit every nail on the head ! Exactly ! I have been falsely accused so many toimes of leaving unlocked doors, ( when their own employees did it) , or leaving an alarm unset, ( again when theirown employees did it). It is like the Rodney Dangerfield of all professions, you just don't get the respect you deserve. Then, the ultimate, the customers leave floaters , Just sick $hit. No pun intended. I have told customers, teach your employees how to plunge a toilet, I'm not the plumber. I am glad you are supportive of janitors stiil, good job sis !

KWIN- I think you are a very smart guy dude. I agree that the joke about janitorial is that how many witnesses are doing it as a profession. Yeah, I hear what you are saying about raising children and wanting them to have a better future. I am trying to break the chain like you. I too, want my son to have a better education then I did by going to college ; as I was not allowed to. It is my son and my payback to the cult- get him a good college education !

LOOSIE- I agree with you. That is one of the reasons I did not want to be an elder- content to be a ministerial servant. I did not want to sit in on judicial committees and judge my brother and sisters personal problems. Not only didn't want to do it, but did not feel qualified to do it. Just wanted to do my business, provide for my family, and mind my own business ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    ABANDONED- Hey guy. You are cool. You have never said anything negative, don't worry. You are one of the kinder persons on this board. I'm thankful my wife and I are doin' O.K. as well ! Thanks for the kkind words, bro ! Peace.

Thanks buddy! I really needed to read something like this right now.

• flipper
    flipper

ABANDONED- Hey man, I'm your friend ! Dude, remember that. We can write or talk anytime. My lines always open friend ! , Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• changeling
    changeling

A psychologist, an actress, a drama teacher, a college professor, a rock star...

changeling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit