I have shingles I think.

by noni1974 33 Replies latest jw friends

• noni1974
    noni1974

For those of you who don't know what it is.It's a form of the chicken pox virus.After you get chicken pox as a kid the virus goes dormant in your nerve endings.Most people never have any problem again with this virus.Some people like me get the shingles.The symptoms include pain in your nerves.A rash that looks like tiny blisters.Aches and flu like symptoms.And many others.I am contagious to people who have never had the chicken pox before.Especially small children and pregnant women.You can't get the shingles from me but you can get chicken pox from me.

I have this stabbing pain in my back which I thought was a pinched nerve.I also have a thing on my back in the spot where I thought I had the pinched nerve that I thought was a spider bite.The pain is radiating around my side to my right breast.My right breast has been burning for 3 days now,about the same amount of time as I've had this spider bite looking thing on my back.I chalked that up to time of the month.This "spider bite " looking thing is on my right side.I'm having aches and pains like I have the flu.I don't feel good.

I asked my boss's mom to look at this bite thing and see if that was what it was because I've never had a spider bite before but I know they can get infected really bad sometimes.I didn't put 3 and 3 together with the nerve pain and the burning breast and the spider bite thing.The other girl I work with was there and she said it looked to her like shingles.I freaked out because I've had them before but not since I was a kid I was 10 or 11.My boss has 3 little girls I thought might be able to get chicken pox from me through contact with him.

So I called a nurse answer line at the county hospital to see if that could happen.I told the nurse what was happening and what had been suggested to me might be shingles.She told me I needed to get my butt to the doctors in the next 24 hours for anti viral meds.That's the only way to clear this up quickly.Otherwise I'll have this for months possibly.The nurse then proceeded to make an appointment for me tomorrow at the next available clinic in there system.She also made an appointment for me to get rated on a sliding scale to pay for this treatment.

Stress brings them on so does weakened immune system from illness.I have both right now.I'm sick and I'm overly stressed at the moment.Sigh.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I hope you feel better.

((((((((((((noni1974))))))))))))

• Odrade
    Odrade

Get yourself into the doc and get a diagnosis. Make sure it's not a tick bite. There are a bazillion "home remedies" for shingles, if that's what it is, but don't mess around with not taking the meds. You can always use the home remedies later. :( Sorry you're not feeling well.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Find out for sure, it can be dangerous.

momz

• llbh
    llbh

Hey Noni

Take care and i wish you well

David

• juni
    juni

I agree w/the others. Don't ignore what the doc tells you about treatment.

My daughter had shingles after her traumatic pregnancy. She had the chicken pox when she was 5; shingles at 28. She was very sick.

(((noni)))

• myababes
    myababes

Did they give you advice to stay away from pregnant women and the vulnerable elderly? its qiute dangerous to them if it is it. The GP may give you some antiviral meds, and amitryptilene (not sure of the US equivalent name ) for the nerve pain. Don't scratch it at all or it may become infected and scar, use calamine lotion to ease the itching.

• exwitless
    exwitless

It does sound like a pretty typical case of shingles. Sorry you're ill. It can really make you feel run down for awhile. If you have any open sores or blisters that popped, keep them covered with bandages. The shingles themselves usually clear up within 2 weeks on their own, like most viral outbreaks, but taking the anti-viral pills can help lessen the severity and duration of your outbreak. What can (not always) linger for weeks or months is the pain, called post-herpetic neuralgia. The doctor can give you medications for the pain as well. Get better soon!

• noni1974
    noni1974

I thought of that Ordade but tick bites don't spread do they??My boss's mom found another spot today just under and to the right of the big one.Plus I don't go in the woods unless someone drags me kicking and screaming.When I'm in the woods I bitch the whole time so I'm never there long.I haven't been in any woods or near any strange animals in months.I live in the city and I have no grass around my building for ticks to grow.I also don't know how a tick could get up under my shirt under my bra to bite me.

I thought spider bite because it would have had to have been while I was sleeping.Ticks can't climb a 7 story building to bite people can they??

I'm going to the doctors at 1:15 PM my time tomorrow.I'll see what the doctor says and I"ll take whatever meds they give me like a good little girl.I don't like being sick or in pain so if it helps with either one of those I'm all about taking meds to help.

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

take care of yourself (((((((((noni))))))))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit