My Personal Proof That Elders Are Not Appointed by Holy Spirit

by TMS 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• chickpea
    chickpea

it is not all that dry

but it is a classic illustration of the reality that there is no "spiritual direction" as is claimed..... and i too enjoy reading the personal accounts members bring to the board.... it is appreciated

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

excellent. A great post - I will post my own

• bobld
    bobld

TMS,How are the slaves choosen for a higher position?Are they selected by the BOE without any input from the slave(the one selected for ms/elder)?

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I once heard a newly appointed elder state, just prior to attending my last ever meeting, that even if this weren't Jehovahs organisation, it's a much better way of life than worldly living - from a guy who'd done his fair share of playing around prior to JW life.

That ethos summed up to me how contrived and manipulative the organisation is. To be an 'Elder of God' admonishing others and affecting their personal life with a psychology that insists on total submission, but then reasoning it works as a stand alone philosophy - is the height of pretentiousness. It is all about shares in the afterlife by enslaving oneself in this!

• Aphrodite
    Aphrodite

Interesting read. My JW mum believes that when elders make right decisions they were guided by holy spirit, when they make wrong ones, they're not.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    Before reading the appointment letter each prospective
    appointee is asked privately if there is any reason why they cannot serve.

this always puzzled me...if holy spirit appointed elders etc then wouldn't it know if there were any reason why they couldn't serve.

does anyone know if an 'elder apparent' ever admitted that yes there was in fact a reason why they couldn't serve (other than not wanting to)

• Maddie
    Maddie

TMS - It is a a very important point you are making so thank you. I have long since been of the opinion that elders are not appointed by Holy Spirit.

Maddie

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Very fascinating read friend. I have observed over the years that there are elders and ms who obviously were not under the direction of hs. If the hs were in operation, these men would never have made it past a month in their positions. Consider for a moment this thought. The holy spirit is god's active force, Right? It is there for all the BOE and ms meetings, Right? It guides us in the field circus to sheeplike ones, Right? I DON"T THINK SO! How about in JC hearings? How then does it operate if one of those elders on those commitees has been having multiple affairs for years??? And, having personal knowledge that when a certain brother was re-instated that he was in fact still smoking? The holy spirit as preached by the wt is not active!

NMG

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Whenever a problem is pointed out, they point back to problems in the Bible.
    Qualified men left Jehovah, Apostles bickered and had shortcomings.

They would say that this was simply a way to make the local body work
    together under holy spirit, or to slow down the GB's consideration and actually
    make them ponder it, or some such nonsense.

• Must obey!
    Must obey!
    It is not about pedophile elders, although I've personally known three, two who were pedophiles at the time of their appointment by the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses.

'Personally known'...almost sounds like they were good friends of yours.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit