My Personal Proof That Elders Are Not Appointed by Holy Spirit

by TMS 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TMS
    TMS

This topic is not about men living sinfully at the time of their appointment as elders. It is not about pedophile elders, although I've personally known three, two who were pedophiles at the time of their appointment by the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses.

First of all a quick summary of what Jehovah's Witnesses are taught about the appointment of elders and ministerial servants:

Before the visit of the circuit overseer, the local elders meet to consider who, if any, among the local congregation they will recommend as elders or
    ministerial servants. The meeting starts with a prayer asking for God's holy spirit to guide their deliberations. The scriptures dealing with the qualifications for these offices are read, usually 1 Peter 5:1-5, Titus 2:1-10 and 1 Timothy 3:1-13. These scriptual qualifications are said to be
    the product of holy spirit, inspired by God like the rest of the Bible. At the meeting with the elders during the circuit overseer's visit, the local elders' recommendations are reviewed after a prayer asking for holy spirit. The finalized, agreed-upon recommendations are sent to the Society to be reviewed by the Governing Body (after prayer). Although, we later learned that a committee from the Service Department may have made the actual appointments, whatever was done was under the direction of the Gov-
    erning Body. In due time, the appointments are received by the congregation body of elders. Before reading the appointment letter each prospective
    appointee is asked privately if there is any reason why they cannot serve.
    If not, there appointment is read at the congregation's service meeting.

Through the above process or something similar, elders(and ministerial servants)
    are said to be appointed by holy spirit.

Now to my example.

In 1976 I was an elder in the very large Little Rock East Congregation. I was the Theocratic School Overseer and, by default the Congregation Secretary(no one else wanted that job). We had nine elders and recommended two more: George F. and Earl R. Both men seemed well qualified.
    George, in his 30's was a married pioneer, articulate, reasonable, approachable. Earl was only 26, but mature beyond his years. He produced programs for Arkansas Public Television and had a small family.

The Society's appointment letter came back with a green check by Earl's name and
    a brief explanation for non-appointment next to George's name. In the explanation the Society(I still use that term) stated that George was still somewhat young and had been baptised only a short time. In actuality, George was 7 or 8 years OLDER than Earl and baptised longer. It was an obvious error.

Now, what to do? The body of elders was not inclined to do anything, just leave the appointments as they were in spite of the obvious error. I learned that they were afraid the letter was sent back, Earl's appointment would be undone. He was the local man and like the majority, black. George, although liked, was a move-in and white.

This obvious injustice was upsetting to me. I did not approach the body of elders. I already sensed their inclination. As secretary, I approached the other two service committee members. They acquiesced to a letter being sent if I would write it. I drafted the letter and presented it to the body as simply an inquiry. No huge objections were voiced and the letter was sent.

Basically, the letter to the Society stated:

You appointed Earl R. You did not appoint George F., stating that he was somewhat young and had been baptised a relatively short time. May we point
    out that Brother Earl R. is younger than Brother George F. has been baptised
    a shorter period. Did you intend to appoint Brother F. and not Brother R.?
    How should we proceed?

I was interested in how the Society would respond. Would they simply admit an error? What explanation would be given? As a true believer, I was interested in
    their response.

In a few weeks a new appointment letter was received. There was absolutely no explanation. There simply a green check beside George F.'s name. Both men were appointed.

This whole episode rattled my theocratic cage, but not enough to more closely
    scrutinize my religion.

As I look back, this was simply one of many signs I ignored that I was involved in a very
    human operation. No holy spirit directed anything.

tms

• TMS
    TMS

I realize that this is a dry topic, difficult to read. I simply wanted to document this incident and the way it was handled.

tms

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I found the story interesting. The cult definitely has a hard time admitting it made a mistake.

• Perry
    Perry

Enjoyed the experience. Experiences were, and still are my favorite part of the WT. Thanks!

• JK666
    JK666

TMS,

I believe that there is a lot of proof that appointments are not by Holy Spirit. It is only about the almighty "TIME IN FIELD SERVICE." It is currency by which appointments are made. It doesn't matter if you are a total doorknob or jerk, you will still be appointed as long as you suck up to the right people and have the right numbers.

I have dealt with the stupidest people as elders, and that more than anything has proved to me that appointments are from loyalty to the Borg, and nothing else. They would rather LOOK good, than BE good. May they all rot in hell.

JK

• flipper
    flipper

TMS- Very interesting ! I did not find it dry at all ! Thanks for posting the experience. As an elders son for 44 years in the organization( got out 4 years ago ) I saw a lot of strange occurrences over the years. I remember being a ministerial servant in the early 1980's and questioning the validity of elders bringing alcohol to a pre-assembly preparation meeting inside a kingdom hall. After prayer- beer bottles were cracked open and elders served everybody a brewsky: right in the kingdom hall ! I questioned my dad about it: right then and there and he just gave the company line :" Well, the other elders decided to bring it, nothing I could do but go along with the body". Incredible. Good thread bud ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

The wts has a catch all regarding the hs and appointnents. The only say nw that, only when a bro has spirutual qualifications then in can be sai that he was appointed by hs or something to that affect. What they are saying is that if the bro appointed did not qualify to begin with he was not appointed by hs.

• KenseiShimonzu
    KenseiShimonzu

Thanks for he experience TMS,all it did was serve to confirm what i already thought..which is why i don't bother with prayer anymore..

After a bad experience in a meeting that was prefaced by a prayer,i came away convinced that "God" wasn't listening,OR participating in the meeting,it was "just men" pretending to be inspired by "God" to try and justify their personal vendetta's,and subsequent personal decisions on how to proceed.-KS

• TMS
    TMS
    I believe that there is a lot of proof that appointments are not by Holy Spirit. It is only about the almighty "TIME IN FIELD SERVICE." It is currency by which appointments are made. It doesn't matter if you are a total doorknob or jerk, you will still be appointed as long as you suck up to the right people and have the right numbers.

JK666,

That is so well put, "the currency by which appointments are made". Traveling overseers are simply numbers men. A 10.1 beats an 8.6 every time. So many good men waste their lives chasing that retractable dangling carrot of "service privileges". So many wannabe elderesses drag their hubbies out into field service because of their ambitions, write their talks out, study with the kids. But that's another thread. LOL!

tms

• thepackage
    thepackage

Interesting story. Proof that GOD does not make these appointments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit