nomoreguilt's WIFE has a question...help

by nomoreguilt 30 Replies latest jw friends

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Dear JG: I extend my sympathies to you. May this Heathen wish you peace and healing.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thanks Void Eater, the same to you.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome, and congratualations on helping free your husband.

You have asked THE classic question. It has been asked since man has been able to ask questions. Each of the major religious tenets come up with various "theories" that they pass off as fact that must be believed with faith. Yet there is no logical answer and you just have to accept that there are some things that are unknown. Your question is one of the main reasons behind why people become athiests.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Changling, I agree. We have created God in our image. That's why religion is so screwed and why we have horrible suffering on this planet.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Our current Judaeo-Christian culture believes in an all-powerful all-knowing
    god who only does what is best for his creation. Many assumptions are made.
    Beyond just whether God exists, there are a plethera of possibilities.

Perhaps gods exist, perhaps they [or he] don't care about what happens with
    their creation. Perhaps we are their playthings- like dolls or matchbox cars.
    We could be in the middle of some contest or game or we could be a nousance
    to God, like something he sneezed. God could be a wicked force that is
    manipulating us. (Give in to the dark side.)

Perhaps we are all just on some stopping ground before our spirit or karma or
    electromagnetic force (or whatever you want to call it) moves on to the real
    experience. Perhaps suffering is what makes us stronger there, or makes us
    appreciate something more. Perhaps those who suffer the most will be the
    best ones there.

The gods of the past were moody and mean. They only did something nice for
    their creation if there was some personal gain for them. I liken the development
    of belief into one super God to the arrival of Superman to comic books.
    Before Superman, heros were limited on how fast or strong they could be. If they
    excelled in speed, they were limited in strength. They used their brain more than
    the villains. Along comes the superhuman Superman. How does he dodge bullets
    or cross space or get to the center of the earth? How does he get to the other side
    of the world in time to catch the falling airplane. It's just too easy for him, so the
    challenge is to find his weaknesses. The SuperGod of today is the same. Since
    Man has credited him with balance and only goodness, our questions tend to
    lean toward finding his flaws. In the old days, there were plenty of flaws in
    superheroes and in gods- there was no need to ponder such thoughts.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

I think the point that Junction Guy and Void Eater both just made is that there are good "Heathens" and bad "Heathens" just like there are good "Christians" and bad "Christians." People are people are people.

I'm glad you are finding satisfying answers, nomoreguilt's wife. These are extremely smart folks here.

Regards,

Rachel

• Must obey!
    Must obey!

Well the JW's do have a fairly reasonable answer to your question which is found in a number of JW publications, eg, the Creation book or the brochure "Why does God permit suffering" (or similar title) with, but even after reading their explanation (at first sight much better than what most churches say on the subject) you are still left with some puzzling contradictions and its ultimately unsatisfying, having scanty scriptural support.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

see "Ant Farm".

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Remember, you've always got an imaginary friend in Jesus.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

changeling...

I like the way you think. God is a convienent back story to explain the unexplainable. Religion takes the concept one step further and is used by (mostly) men to control others while they do whatever the hell they want in the background. They use the fear of "burning hell" "Armageddon", etc. to keep everyone under their thumb.

welcome nomoreguilt's wife...

I have said in these pages before...maybe "God" had kids (or maybe "God" IS the kid?) and gave them the earth as a science project...(kind of like an ant farm)...they played with their new toy until the novelty wore off and now they are off doing something else. There has to be something bigger than us out there that put us here. But if they know we exist, they sure dont show it.

I just try to show respect for whomever the Creator is by respecting the creation (the earth I live on) by not trashing it any more than I have to to exist. And I try to respect those that do believe in a God and their right to a religion...even if it is dubville. Religion is just not for me.

Snakes ()

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit