nomoreguilt's WIFE has a question...help

by nomoreguilt 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Lord, save me from the heathens.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Believers will say that God is great, and that he will explain his purpose in allowing all these horrible things at some unspecified future point. It is a dilemma for religionists, because God is supposed to be (1) All powerful, and (2) All loving. How can he be BOTH of those things while allowing the stronger ones of mankind to inflict terrible conditions on weaker for century after century, with no end in sight?

The skeptic / freethinker would argue that this situation is a strong indication that God is not involved at all with humanity (maybe He's off on some distant project somewhere in another universe) or that he doesn't exist at all.

(Full disclosure: I am not a believer.)

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

VoidEater, Thank you. That's as close an answer as I think I may find that makes sense. May God be with you also.

nomoreguilt's wife

• Satanus
    Satanus

If you accept the bible an it's jewish god, well, better persons than us have been trying to answer that simple question for about 2000 yrs. I don't beli in yhwh, iether. Some people think that we preexisted, and that we may have agreed generally, to a lot of the crap that we undergo here, in our tour of duty. Not as a predestined thing, but to the parents, and some other general things. Sort of like challenges that are supposed to encourage growth in what we are. This is second hand info, as i don't have memories of my agreement for this.

S

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

JG: From what little I know of you, I respect and admire you ...but I feel I must say something...! ;-)

A heathen didn't molest me for 12 years.

A heathen gang did not beat me up for not following God's rules.

A heathen did not kick me out of a job for not being a good Christian.

Supposed followers of the Christian God did these things to me.

And these are just the issues off the top of my head.

Heathens tended to my physical and spiritual wounds. I like Heathens.

As always, of course - your mileage may vary.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

nomoreguilt's wife: and, yes, may He grant you solace, in whatever form He may exist in...thank you!

• changeling
    changeling

What I think you are realizing is that IF there is a loving God, a lot of the things we see would not happen or be tolerated, regardless of a "reason".

So where does that leave us:

1- There is a "creator" but he is not a "god" who intervenes in mankind's affairs and expects us to worship him.

2- There is a god and he is evil and narssisistic.

3- There is no god.

changeling

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

A Christian wasnt the one who abused me

A Christian wasnt the one who abused my Mom and brother.

A Christian wasnt the one who told me that he would blow my brains out as I slept.

It was a heaten, and a God hating heathen at that.

Christians have almost always treated me with respect, Heathen have done nothing but belittle me.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

changeling: I appreciate your input and so, might I ask you this....Why is there then so much emphasis put on this GOD"S name? Throughout history man has always had a name for this GOD. Be it Jehovah, Alah, Vishnu, Buddha, Jesus......or just GOD. Did he simply create all things with a sense of humour and then let things just fall as they may?

I like what you had to say about a creator and not a God with a sense of urgency in following up on his creation.

nomoreguilt's wife

• changeling
    changeling

I think man invented god and not the other way around. He then gave him a name and a personality to fit his needs.

Early man was ignorant of so many things: Why does the wind blow? What is the wind? What is that hot shiney thing in the sky? Why is grandma not moving?

He made up the concept of "god" to explain the unexplainable. From this he made up rules to follow to worship and please his god.

We no longer need an invisible friend to explain things to us.

changeling

Oh, and welcome to the forum, I love nomoreguilt, so I'm sure you're pretty cool yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit