Are we too cynical?

by Princess Daisy Boo 18 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

If you dont like criticism of the Wac Tower, the place for you is the kingdumb hall.

Do they know your playin on the puter again?

• feenx
    feenx

Perhaps, I'm sure plenty are. However, is it not a natural reaction to at the least be skeptical and the most be cynical of an organization whose policies, beliefs and actions (or lack there of) daily affects MILLIONS of lives? And has done so over the course of generations, literally changing entire families? When I first started digging deeper in the WTBS and found disturbing things I discussed it with my therapist as I wasn't quite sure how to process it all. One remark she made, in reference to the core/leadership of JW's and their history, has always stuck with me. She said, "So, at the very least they are unhealthy, and at the very most they are evil." Each person falls somewhere inbetween the extreme of that spectrum, that doesn't mean however that either is wrong.

• *summer*
    *summer*
    Is it a good thing to look for fault in everything the borg does?

For some, it unfortunately reaches the point of obsession.

Are we clutching at straws sometimes in our efforts to strengthen our fight and fuel our anger?

Sometimes.

• Gringa
    Gringa

I think that the key to being a JW is not a lack of cynicism (they are plenty cynical about other religions and governments) but a lack of skepticism.

The key problem with JW's is that they are often too gullible because they do not know enough to ask good questions.

This forum gives a pretty healthy dose of skepticism to its visitors (both lurkers and posters). That can only be positive. Only through full-throttled inquiry can we even hope to find any "truth".

Are ex-JW's too cynical? No. The reaction is pretty typical when you feel victimized and abused. The key is to stop being a victim and start being a survivor.

When you can coolly and rationally deconstruct the JW mythologies, then you are a survivor.

Excellent post, Notyetx. And welcome to the forum. My feelings are this - if you are defending the borg and if you feel this forum is too cynical, you are still brainwashed. I am not being mean, truly - it is just that I have been out a really long time and I DO SEE IT FOR WHAT IT IS - it is an evil cult ruining/stifling lives, as I have said time and time again. If you see it any other way, if you think people are too hard on it, if you see good things in it and if you think we are cynical, you are still in their grasp...... of course, that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I'm probably too cynical, but it's endearing.

• chickpea
    chickpea

CYNIC - Literally, in the Greek, "dog-like," the Cynics "barked" at society, snapping at its heels, attempting to awaken society from its conventional slumber. Although tradition traces the origin of Cynicism to one Antisthenes, a pupil of Socrates (469-399 BC), it was the legendary Diogenes (ca. 400-325 BC) who made Cynicism so famous, its continuity being established for over a millennium http://www.rodsmith.org.uk/philosophy%20glossary/philosophy%20glossaryA-C.htm

because everyone's story is their own... it is a matter of conscience

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

!!! Abandoned !!!

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

CYNICAL? How about, Satirical. We can, for the most part, sit back and laugh at ourselves the most. We were led into this thing with eyes wide shut! All we can do is laugh it away as lost time, and being totally misinformed as to how things really worked from the TOP down. We do however, have the right right to criticise and expose these people for what they really are, HYPOCRATES!!! Nothing less..

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Thanks for all the comments people.

Personally I do think that the majority of the criticism levelled at the Borg is justified, and if we are are not criticising or commenting at least on their actions, then we are not sharing and therefore not developing and learning and growing...

...but occasionally, I think the criticism is over the top and we start looking like we are desperate for reasons to fight.

And just for the record Jaguarbass, in case your reply was aimed at me, and not Must Obey, I am not being a JW apologist - it was just something that occured to me after another thread I read!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit