Are we too cynical?

by Princess Daisy Boo 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Is it a good thing to look for fault in everything the borg does?

Are we clutching at straws sometimes in our efforts to strengthen our fight and fuel our anger?

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I think some people do pump it up some, but then again, everyone's experience with the borg was different. My most negative borg experiences are what I did and felt about myself, I am my own worst critic. So, even though I didn't have problems with the elders or other stuff, I can see how other people did. And looking back from this view I know stuff now about my former elders that if I'd known then would have caused problems.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

No, it's part of the journey. We are cynical, perhaps, because we found out that the people we KNEW we could trust were the worst liars we were associated with. That makes a huge effect and will until you get more and more dealings with people that can be trusted. It's a slow process. But it's worth it and you'll meet some wonderful friends along the way.

• GoddessRachel
  • GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

But it's human nature, isn't it?

• Liberty
    Liberty

I don't think it is at all cynical since the facts are very clear that every aspect of the Watch Tower Society is false and based upon pure delusional fantasy. There is nothing good or nice about this cult of lies, false hopes, and misery.

• DT
    DT

It may be that some of us are more cynical than we need to be. As a group though, I think we need to be cynical and look closely at everything the WTS does. I'm sure that there is still a lot of hidden dirt. Hopefully, it will lead to the freeing of more minds.

• notyetx
    notyetx

I think that the key to being a JW is not a lack of cynicism (they are plenty cynical about other religions and governments) but a lack of skepticism.

The key problem with JW's is that they are often too gullible because they do not know enough to ask good questions.

This forum gives a pretty healthy dose of skepticism to its visitors (both lurkers and posters). That can only be positive. Only through full-throttled inquiry can we even hope to find any "truth".

Are ex-JW's too cynical? No. The reaction is pretty typical when you feel victimized and abused. The key is to stop being a victim and start being a survivor.

When you can coolly and rationally deconstruct the JW mythologies, then you are a survivor.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

DT I agree. In the book 'The Wisdom of Crowds' it suggests that individually we are almost definately wrong (we are either too much or too little) but as a group our wrongs even out and we get a collective balance that is often astonishingly accurate.

The example the book starts with is a country fayre 'guess the cow weight' (when cut up and dressed if my memory is correct) competation and most people who guessed wildly wrong but the aggregate answer from all submitted solutions was breathtakingly close. The subtlety was that the wrong answers (especially the wildly wrong ones) were needed to get the exactness. Counter-intuitively the more 'expert' the answer givers the more the group answer was off mark - being an expert actually caused aggregate error.

So in a forum the group has a good aggregate chance of being just about cynical enough to be incisive and yet hopeful enough to encourage and enjoy itself. Of course it needs to have the ultr cynical and the blithely believing to keep the balance.

That's if 'The Wisdom of Crowds' is right - and I highly doubt it :)

• Must obey!
    Must obey!

Yeah I think so. Most are chucking the baby out with the bathwater cuz I reckon the JW's do teach some excellent doctrines. However, because the WBTS is upholding wicked policies that are ruining and killing babies and children (awful blood polic and despicable child abuse policy) it is justifiable to be quite harsh and cynical.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit