Atheists - What is the meaning of life?

by Paralipomenon 40 Replies latest jw friends

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I must say I liked what Robert Anton Wilson said about reality tunnels: that each has their own reality tunnel and if you live your own it will be a heaven on Earth but if you're always living someone elses it will be a hell on Earth. (whether its a person or a religion)

Too many of us get conditioned from childhood to look into someone elses reality and not to look through our own enough to work out what it is that we want and see that is achievable.

Too many of us put our chips on someone elses reality tunnel and lose our investments in emotionally damaging ways. Fear and guilt are excellent ways to enslave us to sets of life rules others never even think of using. No wonder some of us lose in life and keep losing by employing the same sets of rules! It sounds emotionally detached to speak this way but maybe its closer to how things are.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    If there is no afterlife, what is the meaning of life?

Come to think of it... What's the meaning of life if there IS an afterlife?

I don't recall ever seeing an answer to that.

• 5go
    5go

Come to think of it... What's the meaning of life if there IS an afterlife?

I don't recall ever seeing an answer to that.

That is why I don't believe in heaven or hell type afterlives. What would be the point of creating this place if it was just some temporary testing ground. Why not just start every in heaven and kick those out that won't obey.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Meaning is highly individual and subjective. What does a Beethoven symphony "mean"?

Don't each of us find "meaning" in diverse facets of life?

Good comments from all on an interesting topic.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

A person must make their own meaning, IF they want one.

We're born, we live (you know, the seconds that are passing you by at this very moment), and like it or not, we die.

• proplog2
    proplog2

The meaning of life IS life. Meaning is a tautology. We would like to think it goes somewhere. But it simply goes in a circle. Someone had to live before us or we wouldn't be alive now. We live so that others after us will live. That's why war is the worst scourge on earth. War is anti-life. It destroys meaning by breaking the circle.

• Gregor
    Gregor

War is anti-life. It destroys meaning by breaking the circle.

Nope, war is as much a part of life as a mound of black ants attacking a mound of red ants.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Good topic.

To enjoy yourself, If it feels good do it as long as it doesnt hurt anyone else.

I havent read all of the other post yet, But I would think someone has already said, The meaning of life is whatever meaning you give it.

When we were trapped in the Tower the loving brothers at bethel gave our life meaning. HOW sick was that?

Party like its 1999, And maybe when its all over here, we will have a pleasant suprise. And even if there is no suprise sleep is good.

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

The purpose of life is survival of the species. That is our ultimate purpose as with all other life. It is the only roundabout form of immortality.

• 5go
    5go

Stop trying to get the meaning of life, and get a life!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit