1 small onion
    4 green onions
    1 garlic clove
    3 tbsp butter
    3 cups chicken broth
    3/4 cup whipping cream
    1 cup milk
    dash white pepper

1. Chop the potatoes, onions and green onions. Finely chop the garlic clove.

2. In heavy skillet, lightly saute the onions and garlic.

3. Add the potatoes and chicken broth. Simmer until the potatoes are tender.

4. Mash the potatoes, onions and garlic with a potato masher. Add the cream, milk, salt and pepper and heat through.

My modifications include twice the potatoes. I use for as above and then put the soup in the processor, once blended and creamy I add the other 4 potatoes and litely mash them for some chunkiness. I serve with crisp bacon, but bacos would do too.

Yummy, I am going to make this tonight!

• freydi
    freydi

As we speak, I happen to be preparing a delicious invention. The secret ingredient is hoof of cow, available at finer Mexican grocery stores.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I'm making Chicken Noodle today.

Using "better than boillion" product - chicken flavor. But, finding I don't have to add any salt with it.

Also, using rutabega vegatable. It tastes like a "kicked up" carrot, but shaped like a turnip.

Skeeter

• Mary
    Mary
    Hortsenia said: there's this great stuff called Better than Boullion that I keep in the fridge - chicken broth concentrate

Yep---that's what I use. It's a million times better than the regular boullion cubes. I've got it in chicken, beef and lobster flavors.

I make a variety of different home made soups, but I think my favorite is my beef barley soup:

I brown some onions and fresh garlic in a huge soup pot. Then take about 4 beef ribs (cut from the Prime Rib), dust them in flour or cornstarch & brown them in the same pot (both sides). Then add about 6 - 8 cups of the beef broth (use the beef Better than Boullion) plus 1 cup of chicken brother (use the boullion) and cook the beef ribs at medium heat for about an hour. I add all my spices: garlic powder, kosher salt, pepper, oregano, basil, thyme and parsley at this point. You can also add the pot barley at this point because it takes forever for barley to cook----at least an hour.

After an hour, take the ribs out and let cool. Add your vegetables: I use peas, carrots, and corn, but use whatever veggies you like. Roasted garlic bulb is excellent as well.

Slice off all the meat from the ribs, chop up and return to the pot. If you plan on having the soup soon, I add a bit of cornstarch mixed with water to thicken it up a bit, but you don't have to.

It's so damn good, I think it'd give the Soup Nazi a run for his money!!!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

does the hoof of cow thicken like gelatin or add flavor like bones?

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

I made Hoppin' John this week with the leftover ham carcass. So yummy!

• beksbks
    beksbks

One of my favorites, is to brown some chicken in olive oil, then add onion, garlic, carrot, oregano, and leek. Add chicken broth, and simmer. Then strain everything out, so you are left with the broth. Add chopped kale, cook until tender, then add some tortellini. When that is done al-dente, add the chicken back in and serve with parmesan and cracked black pepper.

• Happy Harvester
    Happy Harvester

I made an absolutely lovely Bible (lentil) soup last night, from scratch. I used a crock pot and cooked until it was all nice and creamy smooth and the vegies were cooked "to death."

I used about 3 c. of organic red lentils in 6 c. of H2O with 3 medium carrots, 1 shallot, about a half c. (maybe 1 c.?) of chopped onion, 2 cloves of minced garlic, and about half a pound of leftover Gwaltney spiral ham.

I love soups and chilis this time of year.

The Bible soup is absolutely delicious, (but I really should have bought some beano to go with it). I also had to add a bit of salt, despite the ham.

I made some roasted potatoes, too, to go with it, with garlic and the last of the dill from my dead herb "garden" (just a pot of weeds now) and a bunch of canola oil and a bit of balsamic vinegar. It's yummy, too.

MMMM. comfort food!

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

well just made beef/veggie soup for myself the other day.....

1 soup bone
    1/2 lb or so of stewing meat cut into bite sized pieces
    1 garlic clove chopped
    1 onion chopped
    olive oil
    16 oz crushed tomatoes
    1 to 1 1/2 c chopped zuchinni
    1 to 1 1/2 c cut green beans
    1 to 1 1/2 c chopped carrots
    1 to 1 1/2 c frozen corn

1/4 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp basil
    1/2 tsp thyme
    (seasonings you can do to taste)

vegetable bouillion (like the one Mary suggested)

Saute garlic and onion in oil til soft
    Add paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper, soup bone and beef.
    Brown beef.
    Add tomatoes and 32 oz water (using the empty 16oz can of tomatoes, fill twice with water)

Add carrots, zucchinni, beans and corn.
    As well as rest of seasonings.
    A tbsp of the bouillion.

Cook til beef is tender.

voila soup

note on amt of veggies. I like a lot of veggies, so you might want to adjust to your particular tastes.
    Also, many veggies can be added. Potatoes, parsnips, celery, cabbage, okra....You can add lentils, peas, rice, barley to make it heartier. A splash of dark beer or red wine adds flavor. That's the cool thing about soup...almost anything goes.

• freydi
    freydi

"does the hoof of cow thicken like gelatin or add flavor like bones?"

Actually it's not the hoof, but the bone just above the hoof. Very gelatinous and tasty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit