Soup Recipes Needed

by skeeter1 22 Replies latest social family

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I'm in the mood for a good bowl of homemade soup. Please share your recipes.

Skeeter

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm not a soup person, but THIS ONE really turned my fancy. In my low-fat version I don't brush the peppers with oil before roasting, and I use non-fat sour cream instead of half-and-half.

http://www.siennamoonfire.com/recipes/pepper_soup.php

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

No soup for you....

Sorry, I got season nine of Seinfeld for Christmas.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

CHUNKY CHICKEN VEGETABLE NOODLE SOUP Printed from COOKS.COM

2 1/2 c. water
    1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
    1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen mixed vegetables, partially thawed
    1 env. Lipton noodle soup mix with real chicken broth
    2 c. cut up cooked chicken or turkey

In large saucepan, combine water, tomato sauce, and vegetables. Bring to a boil, then simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Stir in Lipton noodle soup mix and chicken. Bring to a boil, then simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Makes about 5 servings.

I make this all the time. It's great with grilled cheese sandwiches. I use the California Blend veggies.

momz

• Scully
    Scully

For my favorite soup recipe, I start with a couple of chopped onions, and caramelize them with a bit of olive oil or butter over low-medium heat.

Then toss in some chopped bacon or sausage meat that's been removed from its casings and brown the meat.

Once the meat is browned, I'll add about a cup of chicken broth or homemade vegetable broth to deglaze the pan, and then transfer the contents to the slow cooker.

Then the fun begins, because I toss in all kinds of vegetables, diced potatoes, navy beans, chick peas, diced leftover meat, chopped up turkey sausage, etc... whatever I have on hand. Sometimes I'll reserve about half a tin of the navy beans and mash them, and then use it to thicken the soup later in the cooking process. Don't feel that you have to spend eons chopping veggies - I "cheat" by buying bags of shredded cabbage (for coleslaw) for 99¢ and matchstick carrots for about the same price. The only thing that I find does not work well is frozen diced onion, because it doesn't caramelize the way fresh onions do.

Once you've got enough ingredients in there, increase the liquid - broth, water, vegetable juice (like V8) or a combination thereof - add some seasonings to compliment your soup - parsley, garlic, bay leaves, pepper, salt, etc. and then allow to simmer in the slow cooker until you're ready to serve.

Sometimes I'll use stew- or soup-making as an opportunity to use up a lot of vegetables that are still ok to eat, but not fresh enough to serve on their own. I'll also toss in left over meat like chicken or turkey or ham to use them up, otherwise they tend to just take up room in the fridge until I have to throw it away.

My vegetable broth is easy: 2 each of celery stalks, coarsely chopped onion, carrot, mushrooms, garlic, and half a bunch of fresh parsley. Toss with some olive oil and roast at 300°F for 30-45 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to stock pot with seasonings like peppercorns, bay leaves and fresh parsley. Fill pot with water and simmer for 2 hours. Cool to room temperature and then remove solid materials from broth using sieve.

• TrailBlazer04
    TrailBlazer04

This is how I use the last of the turkey carcass at holiday time:

1 turkey carcass with some meat on the bones, and all that jelly stuff that's in the bottom of the roasting pan

onions, celery, carrots

Put the carcass in a big stock pot, cover w/water, chop veggies, throw those in. Add seasoned salt, pepper, whatever

Boil it until the carcass comes apart

strain, add back veggies and meat if you desire

toss in some corn, peas, pasta, potatos, whatever you have handy, and some left over meat

Simmer until added veggies are done

serve

This can be divided up into 1 gallon containers and frozen. I pull out a frozen container, dump it in the crock-pot on low and it's ready when I get home from work.

this usually ends up being about 5 gallons of soup...

TB

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Thanks. I happen to have saved the turkey carcass in the freezer. I was going to do Turkey Chili at Superbowl...but, soup sounds good too.

I'm trying to do soups for January. I have a house full of sick people.

Today, I made some...

Corn Chowder

Boil 1 pint of chicken stock,

Add 1 chopped onion

Add 5 potatos (skinned & diced)

Add 5 sprigs of parsley - chopped.

add 1 bone-in chicken breast (skinned)

Boil until chicken is cooked. Take out chicken & shred meat. Add shredded meat back into pot.

Add whole milk, some cream, pepper, Adobe seasoning, and a package of frozen corn kernals.

Bring to a boil, and let thicken.

• Priest73
    Priest73

Sorry. All my soup starts with a can opener and a pot.
    1) Pick soup can.
    2) Open Can.
    3) Dump in pot.
    4) Turn on stove and bring to a boil.
    5) Pour in bowl.
    6) Enjoy.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

One of my favorites for veges that are past their prime or that you have too much of:

Cream of Veggie Soup

• Dehydrated onion - tsp or so
    • 1 dominant vegetable - zucchini, broccoli, mushroom, celery, corn, asparagus - zucchini is my favorite
    • Dehydrated chicken broth - 1-2 TBSP
    • Freshly ground black pepper
    • Water to cover

Simmer til soft, add a tad of milk (powdered is fine), puree in blender. Voila!

Quick and easy enough to make just enough for one for lunch.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

there's this great stuff called Better than Boullion that I keep in the fridge - chicken broth concentrate. I like to use chuck for soup. Cut up some boneless chuck and start browning it on all sides. Also dice up onions and some garlic if you like it. Throw the browned chuck into the soup pot and start sauteeing the onions. while that's working, chop up celery and carrots really small, saute with the onions and when they are a little carmelized, add to the soup pot with some water and better than boullion. Then it get fun, because you rummage through the fridge for vegetables and add whatever strikes your fancy. I like mushrooms sometimes. I particularly like to dice up a rutabaga, it gives very good flavor to the soup. Diced potatoes are good, or some other starch like corn. Green beans are good, too.

A very good soup is to heat equal amounts of progresso tomatoes in puree with chicken broth. Add some lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, some fresh ginger and simmer for a while. Taste and season if necessary. At the end shred up a lot of cilantro and put it in the soup.

Or there's the classic, put some ham, split peas or pink beans, onion, carrots and celery in a pot with a lot of water and let it cook until everything is tender.

Or, put a quart or so of chicken broth in the soup pot and start it simmering while you peel and dice potatoes, rutabaga, carrots, onion, any other root vegetables you fancy, adding them to the broth as you go along. Use a LOT of root vegetables. Simmer until it is all tender, then use an immersion blender to make it smooth.

Or, peel a lot of garlic and saute gently in butter until it starts to caramelize, but not brown. Add a quart of chicken broth and let it all simmer for a while. It should be golden in color. Meanwhile, toast some slices of bread in the oven and poach some eggs. Shred or slice some parmesan or some other cheese - maybe a gooey cheese. Place a slice of toast in each bowl, top with a barely done poached egg and some cheese. Pour the simmering soup over the toast and egg - yummy! It's one of my favorites, and it's wonderful when everyone is sick. You might want to leave out the egg for folks who are nauseated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit