Chapter from my novel

by Abandoned 23 Replies latest social entertainment

• trevor
    trevor

Abandoned you asked for feed back.

It is difficult to maintain present tense for the duration of a whole novel. It works with a diary presentation but in novels it becomes difficult for the characters to ponder, think and reflect in present tense.

Also your conversations would come alive more, if of you add more description to the dialogue. It helps the reader to form a picture in their mind.

For example I have added some ideas to your text. The italics are mine:

Jenna Wilkins slowly recounts all she knows about the abduction to Detective Bryer.

Bryer look at her thoughtfully for a moment.

“So the only two people to see the man were your two children?”

“Yes, I think so; there are not many people at home here during the day.”

“None of your neighbors are home?”

“I don’t think so.”

Bryer looks surprised. “You don’t think so? Don’t you know for sure? Didn’t you call them?”

“We don’t have a very good relationship with most of our neighbors.” Jenna explained.

Detective Bryer opens his dark brown eyes wide and looks puzzled before he roughly shakes his journal in front of him. “But surely they’d want to help out if one of your sons was abducted?

“If? If one of my son’s were abducted? There’s no if, Johnny was taken and here you sit wasting time asking me about my neighbors…”

‘I didn‘t mean to upset you these are Standard questions maam. Says Bryer, aware that Jenna is becoming agitated. Was anyone else at home when the alleged abduction took place?”

“Just my other son, Jimmy, I already told you that.”

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Thanks Trevor. I appreciate the comments. I do need to work on description. That's definitely on my to-do list. And your examples were well done. Thanks.

I still haven't made up my mind of present of past tense. I usually do short stories in present and novels in past, but I like the challenge of doing a whole novel in present tense. It may turn out that I can't quite pull it off or something but for now I'm going to try.

Thanks again for your feedback.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Any more feedback, suggestions, gushing praise. Go ahead, I can take it....

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Hey abandoned...are you still here? Did you ever finish this???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit