Had tooth pulled-tremendous pain

by Angry_Kangaroo 27 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have had a few teeth pulled. Usually, the only thing that happens is that it will hurt a bit. I normally take one ibuprofen before the shot wears off, and it reduces the pain to a tolerable level (I don't want it totally dead since I want to be reminded not to be too strenuous until the bleeding stops and it stabilizes). I have had a few abscesses, usually lasting about a week and a half. Pain stops soon after they burst on the 3rd or 4th day.

There are two possibilities. You could be infected and the antibiotic is not working (it happens if the infection is resistant). Or, the dentist could have done a dubber's job in removing the whole tooth or could have caused other damage in the socket. With a wisdom tooth, it is easier to do that because of poor clearance (other teeth are easier to extract). In case it is a resistant infection, I recommend astragalus (an herb) and coconut oil (which can help the immune system and destroy bacteria that are causing the infection). And, I strongly recommend a quality acidophilus supplement or yogurt with live cultures (preferably organic) while you are taking the antibiotic, to prevent candida problems.

If the problem is due to physical damage in the socket, you will probably have to suffer a while longer as the body repairs it. I would recommend going to another dentist, if for no other reason than to document that the first dentist did a pxxx poor job (it sounds tacky when they want to reuse gloves). You may be in for a malpractice suit.

• BrentR
    BrentR

As Tara mentioned a dry socket will give you pain that meds will not take care off. You have to get it packed since you may have lost the blood plug. I had four pulled all at once and one went dry socket and the pain was beyond horrible. As soon as the socket gets packed 90% of the pain will be gone.

Topical gels, ice/heat packs won't even touch dry socket pain. The socket (extraction hole) must be packed with gauze soaked in topical anesthetic. I will never forget that pain.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I ALWAYS HEARD THAT YOU NEVER NEVER EVER PULL AN ABCESSED TOOTH UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!

The infection is supposed to be treated first before the tooth is pulled. Not to scare you, but I knew a man that died from this.

The infection spread throughout his system after the abcessed tooth was pulled. Go to the emergency room or call your physician

now.

• delilah
    delilah

Oh boy, can I relate!!

I had an abcessed tooth pulled, with each of my 3 pregnancies...the last one was so infected, I was on anti-biotics for 2 weeks, and when I went to have it pulled, it was still infected, but the dentist pulled it anyways. I had 3 or 4 needles to freeze the area, and I still felt it. I was so sick, and in so much pain, I wished for death, and I was 6 months pregnant!!

Toothaches hurt so much!! I hope you get some relief...and soon!!

• BrentR
    BrentR

The dentists in my area all refer patients to maxiofacial surgeons for wisdom teeth extraction. You also get to choose if you want general anesthesia or local. I went for general.

Report the dentist to your local state dental board ASAP.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Rinse your mouth with warm salt water. It will help dry up any absesses. It works for strep throat too.

momz

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

To reduce swelling and pain, try a small ice cube directly on the wound as long as you can. Might work. Did for me. Bill.

• horrible life
    horrible life

As has been already mentioned, you have a dry socket. When you extract a tooth, a blood clot forms, and amazingly, those cells realize that they should turn into bone cells. If this blood clot gets washed away, or dislodged, you have not only an open wound, but an open wound, that also leads to a hole in your bone. Open to the secretions and horrible bacteria in your mouth.

Just think about that on your arm. A cut that is clotted and closed. OR A cut that is laid open, no clot, and you can look down in it, and see a hole in your bone, you can put a finger tip in. Go ahead and spit in it, see if it helps.

This is why Dr.'s that extract any tooth, should look you in the eye, and tell you, and give you a hand-out to take home, telling you to

Not drink carbonate beverages of any kind. ie cola, beer etc bubble out clot

Not to swish dislodge clot

No smoking or drinking out of a straw. (Sucking motion) dislodge clot

If you did not get any of these instructions, call your dental board, after you are relieved of pain.

Call your local hospital, tell them you think you have a dry socket, and if they can help you, or who the dentist on call is. Or, call the dentist you went to and make him meet you at his office, as soon as you can get there. He is now your dental provider, and by law, he has to treat you in an emergency, unless he is out of town, and he has to have a back-up plan, in case he is unable to help you. Having him relieve you of your pain, will not remove any liability on his part, for not telling you the do's and don't of extractions.

He will pack it, usually with gauze or packing, soaked in eugenol. It will need to be changed every couple of days. Tastes bad, but works great. That's why the hospital may be able to help. It is fairly easy to do.

• horrible life
    horrible life

You didn't mention if it was a top or bottom tooth.

If it is a top tooth, the root tip, or "apex" of the root, may have been in or very close to your sinus cavity. When extracting it, you may now have a hole in the floor of your sinus.

So, not only do you have an open hole, you have a tunnel of open bone, from oral cavity to your nasal cavity. When you even breathe, you will be filled with pain. Happens alot. Did he give you a form to sign, acknowledging all of the bad things that can happen, when you have an extraction?

• JH
    JH

Bite your tongue, the tooth pain will go away

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit