Had tooth pulled-tremendous pain

by Angry_Kangaroo 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Angry_Kangaroo
    Angry_Kangaroo

Yesterday I had an abscessed wisdom tooth pulled. The pain now is much more severe then before it was pulled. The worst pain is where the dentist gave me the local injections-it hurts so bad! I'm a bit worried about the quality of the work the dentist did. It was the only place open this week, so I had little choice on where to go. He really freaked me out when he scolded the nurse for throwing out gloves he had already used-said he likes to reuse them! I'm so glad she did!

Anyway, any tips on surviving the pain afterwards? Besides vicodin-already have that, and it doesn't work that great....

• DJK
    DJK

Baby oral gel. Not the adult oral gel. The baby oral gel is awesome for pain.

• nelly136
    nelly136

is there a doctors open?

i know they dont treat teeth but proper medical advice prolly better than takin chances. might give you some antibiotics if its infected.

• Quandry
    Quandry

That does NOT sound good that the dentist wanted to reuse gloves!!! By all means, if it continues to hurt excessively, go see another dentist soon. Infection in the jaw can reach the brain.....You should have been given a prescription for antibiotics by the dentist.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Boy, I can relate. I just had a bad tooth looked at myself. The pain should be going down after a couple days, not getting worse. I worry you might have infection. You should have been given a prescription for antibiotics.

• Angry_Kangaroo
    Angry_Kangaroo

i know they dont treat teeth but proper medical advice prolly better than takin chances. might give you some antibiotics if its infected.

Already been to a walk in. I actually started antibiotics a couple days before I got it pulled. I'm pretty sure the pain is due to a less then gentle dentist.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I had a VERY GOOD dentist do my root canal. I experienced nearly instant relief from the pain. A good dentist will not only extract the tooth but remove the nerve as well. I fear if the pain is worse that the original nerve is still there, unprotected, throbbing. If it keeps getting worse, you'll go to another dentist to have it checked out, won't you?

• Angry_Kangaroo
    Angry_Kangaroo
    I had a VERY GOOD dentist do my root canal. I experienced nearly instant relief from the pain. A good dentist will not only extract the tooth but remove the nerve as well. I fear if the pain is worse that the original nerve is still there, unprotected, throbbing. If it keeps getting worse, you'll go to another dentist to have it checked out, won't you?

I'm going to try to get in to a normal dentist on Monday. I've had dental work done before, and never went through this kind of pain after. This guy did a piss poor job. Sometimes I hate the holidays, why must places close for a week for a holiday that is 1 day?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think Seventh Day Adventists run our local dentist's office. They close Saturdays but they are open most of Sunday. I have to say they are darned convenient for making an appointment.

• Tara
    Tara

Ouch. I sympathasize. Tooth pain is horrible! That is really disturbing that he wanted to re-use the gloves. If he was making a joke, it was a very bad one. Over the counter ibuprophen (advil) around the clock works much better than vicodin on tooth pain as it is also an anti-inflammatory. You could also have what is called a dry socket. I would call him, or another one, and get it checked out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit