Will Carnivorous Jehovah Establish A Vegetarian New World?

by TMS 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• seawolf
    seawolf
    Great White Sharks will lazily graze on kelp, birds of prey will adapt their talons to plucking ears of corn, etc.

LOL! and then after they're done lazily grazing on their newfound kelp diets and have a full tummy (while the kelp fights for space in that tummy with all the other stuff the shark ate in that previous 'old' world (licence plates, old cans, Robert Shaw) we'll then put on our scuba gear, sneak up on them, and then tip those bitches right over. shark tipping will be the de facto new sport for all the surviving JWs in the coastal areas.

• onacruse
    onacruse

blondie:

I always wondered why Abel killed sheep...

A question that never came to my mind until you just mentioned it! (giving self yet another slap on the forehead). And it ties into what BTS said:

At first(until the flood) no meat could be eaten.

I would like to see that statement substantiated. I always believed it as a JW.

That proof would be Genesis 9:3, about which (among other things) the WTS says:

*** w90 5/15 p. 30 Questions From Readers ***

Questions From Readers

? Is it appropriate for a Christian to go hunting or fishing?

The varied reactions to hunting often involve deep feelings. So it is best for Christians to strive to understand and apply Jehovah God’s thinking on the matter as found in the Bible.

God gave mankind dominion over both "wild" and "domestic" animals. At first, humans did not have the Creator’s permission, nor perhaps any physical need, to kill animals for food. (Genesis 1:24, 29, 30) Only after the Flood did God give mankind the right to eat animal flesh that was properly drained of "its soul—its blood." (Genesis 9:3, 4) That could be meat from either domestic or wild animals.

Which then would mean that Abel killed animals simply and solely to offer up their carasses to Yahweh as a sacrifice that Abel assumed would be pleasing to his God:

*** w02 8/1 p. 28 Questions From Readers ***

Questions From Readers

Did Abel know that an animal sacrifice was needed to gain God’s favor?

The Bible account of Cain and Abel making their offerings is very brief. At Genesis 4:3-5, we read: "It came about at the expiration of some time that Cain proceeded to bring some fruits of the ground as an offering to Jehovah. But as for Abel, he too brought some firstlings of his flock, even their fatty pieces. Now while Jehovah was looking with favor upon Abel and his offering, he did not look with any favor upon Cain and upon his offering."

There is no mention in the Bible that prior to this event Jehovah had given any specific information about sacrifices or about what kind of sacrifices would be acceptable to him. Thus, Cain and Abel evidently made their offerings solely of their own volition. They were barred from access to their parents’ original Paradise home; they began to feel the effects of sin; and they were alienated from God. In their sinful and pitiful state, they must have felt strongly the need to turn to God for help. Offering God a gift was likely a voluntary gesture on their part toward gaining God’s favor.

As matters turned out, Abel’s offering was accepted by God, but Cain’s was not. Why? Was it because Abel offered the right things and Cain did not? We cannot be sure that the type of offering had no bearing on matters, since neither of them had been told what was acceptable and what was not. However, it is likely that either type was acceptable. In the Law that Jehovah eventually gave the nation of Israel, acceptable sacrifices included not only animals or animal parts but also roasted grain, sheaves of barley, fine flour, baked goods, and wine. (Leviticus 6:19-23; 7:11-13; 23:10-13) Evidently, it was not the substance alone of the sacrifices of Cain and Abel that caused God to accept one and reject the other.—Compare Isaiah 1:11; Amos 5:22.

Based on this QFR, Abel could just as easily have made a vegetable salad for God.

• TMS
    TMS

Of course I was not trying to present what the Bible "teaches". That doesn't interest me anymore. My intent was to show what we as JW's believed and were taught. Personally, as a JW I was never certain of the New World being vegan. I usually showed my Bible Studies texts describing paradise menus including "dishes filled with marrow" or "joints and their marrow". Marrow seemed close enough to meat to somewhat open the door of meat-eating as a possibility.

Most of my adult years were spent in Arkansas and Texas, where meat eating and hunting are considered important even by JW's. It was difficult enough to ask potential disciples to give up Christmas, birthdays, etc. "No meat" might have been a deal breaker.

When the Watchtower came up with the "adjusted understanding" of Isaiah 11, applying it to the personality changes of individuals, they faced a real dilemna. To have reversed the "lion will eat straw like the bull" literal understanding would have nullified all the paradise art work. The cutesy stories about a little girl and the lion would have been mute. They came up with a compromise: primary application=figurative, secondary application=literal.

As to the "great evening meal of God" literalness, that concept has become more ludicrous as the world's population has grown. There's even some JW specualtion out there about Jehovah zapping most of the carcasses magically, leaving merely a ceremonial cleanup for the birds.

How difficult it would be to present all these Watchtower concepts with a straight face. It's embarrassing now to admit that I believed all this stuff for over fifty years.

tms

• OBVES
    OBVES

To doubt is is a crime ! Just ask yourself if God Yahweh really is as Obves presents Him as the Creator how in the world He allows me to live on in this world ?

• Happy Harvester
    Happy Harvester

My daughter's bf said it would be interesting to see "how the world would be without meat-eaters. If you kill all the wolves, you'll have a crapload of bunnies."

Would there be enough lettuce for us all?

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

I always wondered what possible connection could there be, between man deciding to kill a cow in order to enjoy a steak, and a female spider deciding to chow down down on her male partner following her impregnation...there seems to be a major disconnect.

I'll admit to having watched the Butterfly Effect, but even still, I find it difficult to reconcile a reasonable co-relation between events like this.

It just doesn't make any sense.

The Oracle

• onacruse
    onacruse

Oracle:

a female spider deciding to chow down down on her male partner following her impregnation...

And then there are praying mantises, where the female not infrequently consumes the male partner even as the impregnation is proceeding.

there seems to be a major disconnect.

She, of course, disconnects the head first, and works down slowly to the "vital" organs.

I know...TMI.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

LOL!

Yup. The Praying Mantis is another classic example.

It is fascinating to me, that there are still so many people who get sucked in to all the nonsense. It just goes to show the power of two things;

1) mind control

2) lack of education

These two forces, especially when working in tandem, provide a devasting punch against reality.

The Oracle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit