I am trying to understand my cat

by Fisherman 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Like I said on a previous thread, this is my first cat. This cat always follows me around and demands to be petted all of the time. He wants to be carried all of the time. When I dont pet him he extends his leg and with his paw he grabs my hand and pets himself with my hand

When I first brought the cat home, I let him sleep on our bed a couple of times but at night he gets into a hunting mode and runs through the house and jumps on furniture pretending to be hunting. His claws are out and he grabs me with his claws.

All of the time this cat wants to be petted but once in while he gets into this mode where he likes to grab with his claws(not scratch) or come uo behind and waps his legs around my leg with his claws to my pants and bite.

He had a habit before of wanting to rub his face against mine all of the time. THis cat wants to be on me all of the time.

Can you help me to understand my cat?

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Did you recue him? From a shelter, etc? Or raise him from a kitten? He just loves you, and he's needy.

momz

• Satanus
    Satanus

Simple, it owns you. You are its everything - slave, plaything, provider. When it follows you, it's supervising you.

S

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Sounds like a normal cat to me!

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

That's a cat alright.

• Micky4321
    Micky4321

I've had quite a few cats and that's just how cats behave. Both of my cats now I have to lock out of the bedroom at night at times or they will run all over on the dressers and knock things over and then run wrestle with eachother. Makes it really hard to sleep. Your cat seems to really like your attention. Mine are like that too. My older cat who's 9 will stand in the hall and put her foot out to try to stop me to get my attention they are so funny.

Then they both will try to sit on my lap at the same time and sometimes one will wrestle the other one off so they can sit there. The older one sleeps under the covers with me sometimes and puts her head on my arm even. They just really like human affection. Plus after all like with your cat you are all the cat has. So it's just wanting attention.

• Maddie
    Maddie

He sounds like a normal cat to be as the things you describe are all cat traits. I have two cats and they have very different personalities. They are both affectionate but one is more independent and spends time on her own. The other one likes to be round me much more and tends to follow me about the house. Have you got any cat toys for your cat to play with cos that might help?

Maddie

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Cats have only been domesticated since the agricultural revolution: fairly recently, especially compared to dogs, who have been with the human clan since very early on (and I'm not talking about Eden, I'm talking reality).

Consider that you cat is an alien lifeform with a completely non-human view of the world and his place in it.

Most of all, your cat wants to be reassured that you are not going to eat him. You should be able to give your cat your undivided attention for a minimum 15-30 minutes a day. he will thank you for it.

Keep in mind that to a cat, "play" is a martial art - hunting practice. Be sure to clean scratches and punctures well. It is good to have hand sanitizer or 99% alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and neosporin ointment at hand, as well as an assortment of bandages in various sizes.

Never consider getting your cat declawed. It is an inhumane amputation of the ends of the cat's "fingers" - it is not simply a nail trimming - and can result in pain for the rest of the cat's life.

There are some very good books on AMAZON regarding cat behavior. One of my favorite authors is Pam Johnson Bennett, who also has a web site: http://catbehaviorassociates.com/

I've also enjoyed reading "The Cat Who Cried For Help" and "The Cat Whisperer" (everybody is a 'whisperer' these days).

• Gregor
    Gregor

If it were my cat I think I would interpret his behaviour as a clear request to be thrown from a moving car several miles out in the sticks.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

That isn't funny.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit