WTS response to 9/11

by Robert7 20 Replies latest jw friends

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

looking for comfort at the meeting (School/Service Meeting).

?? Maybe I went to another church. I never received "comfort" at a meeting. I received instruction, but I've never associated emotional support as coming from a JW service.

There have been indidivual JWs that have provided emotional support, and I kinda viewed the KH as a place to find those people, but comfort from the platform? Never, never had it, never expected it. Is my experience that different? Maybe it's different for those raised in a different religion where you do get that?

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

Then how much is true about the story that a lot of people that fled and happened to be near Bethel got food and a place to rest?

I don't mean to defend but, I suppose that after seeing how many people were running towards the building there had to be a point where they had to close the doors.

I do know that after the fact, I heard, some brothers and sisters went to ground zero and in the middle of the chaos they were trying to preach. That I don't get. I understand you want to bring some relief or try to make some sense of that terrible day, but to want to preach!!! Short of being fanatic.

I don't think they don't care. They just think that missing a meeting or even mentioning the situation, the meeting is not the place because is not within the "program" for that meeting. And of course you don't pray to Jehovah for worldly people.

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

All that I remember the Watchtower doing was like 3 weeks after the fact they reprinted an issue of the Watchtower from several months earlier on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Even then I thought this was pretty much a token response. Like they were sick of people asking their opinion so they better do something.

Oh, yeah I just remembered this too. There were stories of Bethelites and Watchtower representitaves given permission to witness at ground zero. Members of other churches asked them what they were telling people and the Watchtower people refused to share with them because their message was so good that they didn't want anyone to copy them. Disgusting fools.

• Dagney
    Dagney

2001 was THE year for me, and the events around 9/11 sealed my fate.

There was an e-mail circulating originating from Bethel saying that they couldn't continue to let people in at Bethel because "they couldn't just let anyone in!" That infuriates me. I understand where that is coming from, of course. But this was a disaster and it was/is indicative of an attitude.

When I finally went to ground zero three weeks after, there were numerous tracts left all along the outside of the church where the pictures of the missing were placed along with flowers. To be so out of touch with your fellow human beings as to think that a tract about 'Hope for the Dead" would be comforting at such a horrendous time is amazing to me. It still makes me tear up thinking about the fireman I talked to a the McDonalds the night I was there.

I don't think any other church would react that way at a time of crisis. I could be wrong, just a feeling.

• hilannj
    hilannj

I remember I went out in service that day.. no one answered the door and none of the people I was with thought that maybe it was a bad day to go. crazy, hil

• bobld
    bobld

Yeah the wbts really helped 9/11 by preaching.An experience was given how an elder with open Bible was giving comfort hope.When a Roman Catholic priest came along, the elder asked what was he the priest doing there.The elder said the priest "said I am getting some water for the workers" and sheeply walked away.Also the priest was not offering any hope like the righteous elder.

My thought the priest walk away to get much needed water and was very helpful.Iam sure the workers appreciated the water greatly.You know the saying a time for everything.Dumb ass elder/wbts/gb.

• Satanus
    Satanus

By comparison, churches did open their doors, literally.

"Manhattan Churches Open Doors after Tragedy

By Linda Bloom

Helping the walking wounded and providing sanctuary for prayer and hope, United Methodist churches in Manhattan threw their doors open following the Sept. 11 World Trade Center tragedy.

After the twin towers collapsed, Washington Square United Methodist Church in Greenwich Village opened its doors and telephone lines to crying, shaken passersby.

"Then the walking wounded began appearing – folks who had walked out of the 'ground zero' area," reported the Rev. Jacquelyn Moore in a widely-circulated email message. "Their injuries were not major, but many were in shock. We set up water and some food… broke out cots from our homeless shelter so some could lie down. We set up a TV in the corner of the sanctuary so folks could get information.

"We didn’t stop to count, but think that 150 to 200 folks came through. The staff and some community members of Washington Square Church are the best – they were here and worked and cried with folks."

Washington Square is a few blocks from St. Vincent’s Medical Center, where both victims and rescue workers were being treated for injuries.

Another United Methodist Church, Metropolitan Duane on West 13th Street, is right next door to St. Vincent’s. The congregation, led by the Rev. Takayuki Ishii, believes its most important role in the disaster "is to provide space to come in and pray." As the tragedy unfolded, "many of the St. Vincent workers came in for prayer," Ishii said. Since then, rescue workers taken to St. Vincent’s for treatment have come in to pray as well.

Metropolitan Duane most likely will be used as a staging area for future United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) activities, such as grief counseling, in downtown Manhattan. The Rev. Paul Dirdak, UMCOR’s chief executive, is part of the congregation.

The United Methodist church just two blocks from the World Trade Center,"

United Methodist churches further uptown also opened their doors on a day when many people were walking the streets because public transportation had been shut down. On the Upper West Side, the Rev. James ("K") Karpen greeted people outside the Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew. "We invited them in to stop and pray for awhile and talk," he said.

A prayer vigil that evening with Congregation B'nai Jeshurun, a Jewish congregation that shares space at the church, drew 500 to 600 people, according to Karpen. Together, the two congregations are planning to set up a free trauma counseling center next week.

At Park Avenue Church on the Upper East Side, the Rev. William Shillady, pastor, and the Rev. Bryan Hooper, associate pastor, stood outside in ministerial robes, inviting those walking by to pray.

"People would stop in their tracks and say, 'Yes, that's what I need to do,'" Shillady wrote in a letter to his congregation. "We had a steady stream of people. One young man, with tears in his eyes, walked by, then reached out and hugged me. Another father, with his daughter’s hand tightly in his, asked for a blessing for himself and his daughter. That day our open doors meant more than ever before."

Like many other churches, Christ Church, also on the Upper East Side, has had evening services for members and others in the community who are searching for security and reassurance in the midst of massive tragedy. The Rev. Stephen Bauman, pastor, recalled how one of their newer members attending a Sept. 12 service told him about arriving at the World Trade Center just before the blast that rained down body and airplane parts around him. "He was just, obviously, shaken to the core,"

"Let us continue to be in prayer for the victims of this disaster, all emergency workers, all medical personnel, and the families that have been directly affected,"

http://gbgm-umc.org/Umcor/emergency/wtc3.stm

I'm sure that there was a lot more welcoming activity like this by churches. These are merely a few examples that put the wt headquarters in the bad light in which they do live and breathe.

S

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

To have them tell the workers at Beth Hell to get back to work and close the blinds is quite dehumanizing. They are telling people that having planes flown into buildings should not distract them from working. I can see telling that to children in school for snow, but this isn't a mere snowstorm. This is history being made, and the witlesses are being ordered to continue as usual.

I don't even recall having gone to that boasting session. I was already on my way out long before that, and I heard nothing but speculation about how many witlesses were in the towers when they came down. I believe they came up with a number like 13, and that was all they cared about. I wonder how they would have felt if the hijacker would have had navigational trouble and flown the planes into 90 Sands Street instead.

• Gerard
    Gerard

The USA government would not have tolerated cheering from a religious cult within its borders. Therefore the WT's silence.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I heard they provided coffee and donuts to rescue workers and gave comfort to those who came by Bethel. Maybe I'm deluded here, but that's what came from the platform. W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit