WTS response to 9/11

by Robert7 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Robert7
    Robert7

I'm sure this has been discussed in length, but I'm a newbie :)

One item that really shocked me, back when I believed this was 'The Truth' was the lack of response to the 9/11 attacks. As all of us, we were really shocked and really were looking for comfort at the meeting (School/Service Meeting). Instead they very coldly just said that the Kingdom will fix all problems, and just look ahead to the Kingdom. Nothing about the innocent lived killed, their families, etc. But they did mention the 10 or so Witnesses killed.

This was the first time in memory that I really tried to turn to my religion for spiritual comfort. Instead the answer basically was "seek the Kingdom" and "preach the good news". This left a big hole in me. This really stuck with me, asking, "How can this be the true religion?".

• snowbird
    snowbird

I was inactive at the time, but still had some family in.

It was so disheartening to hear about the WT's lackluster response. It's as though they were afraid to speak out.

Sylvia

• faundy
    faundy

Do you think that perhaps you notice it more because it's pertinent to you? I mean, I know the WTS is concerned primarily with how many Witnesses died, but what makes you think that 9/11 is so terrible?

They didn't talk much about the 250,000 killed by the tsunami of 2004 either. It's not that they won't talk about the Trade Centre, they generally have little feeling for world events in general unless they seem to back up prophecy. Jesus didn't talk about suicide bombers or tidal waves in the Sermon on the Mount, so they're not fussed.

Just realised: WTS stands for both the Watchtower Society and the World Trade Centre.

Eerie.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I understand your feelings.

After it happened, there was a post on a now inactive ex-JW forum by a friend of mine who is an ex-JW. She had a letter forwarded to her from someone in Bethel on 9/11.

I wish I had kept a copy of this letter, as it was very telling how the WTBTS views events such as what happened on 9/11.

Basically, if I recall correctly, what happened was that there were workers inside Bethel - at the facility that could see the smoke rising from the twin towers, and they were getting concerned. They were looking out of the windows towards the area where the commotion was.

Someone in charge - came over - chastized them, telling them to get back to work - and then shut the blinds - so that they could not see outside.

I found this attitude very chilling - and cold.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Satanus
    Satanus

As i recall, the ny bethel locked it's doors when people were fleeing down their street from the carnage. Oh sure, a few people were let in, mainly jws. Their concern for 'worldlings' was nill. But then, what would one expect from a group that fantasizes the extermination of 99% of the world's population. No comfort for outsiders, no comfort for their own. Comfort is projected off, into the future.

S

• KeepinSane
    KeepinSane

Do you think that perhaps you notice it more because it's pertinent to you? I mean, I know the WTS is concerned primarily with how many Witnesses died, but what makes you think that 9/11 is so terrible?

They didn't talk much about the 250,000 killed by the tsunami of 2004 either. It's not that they won't talk about the Trade Centre, they generally have little feeling for world events in general unless they seem to back up prophecy. Jesus didn't talk about suicide bombers or tidal waves in the Sermon on the Mount, so they're not fussed.

Sorry Faundy, but there is a difference here....

The 9/11 attacks were performed by people to deliberately hurt people. The 2004 tsunami was natural disater, just like any other, except for the fact that it was much larger. 9/11 also happened in the WTS backyard, (just over the bridge...).

The cold response received from the WTS has much to do with why I am no longer sitting in the KH.

Jason

• changeling
    changeling

When this happend I worked with a witness who was a regular pioneer. When I went into the office the day after, she jumped up to greet me and said: "Isn't this exiting!" I stared at her and said, "this is terribly sad" and walked away.

changeling

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Being in Bethel when this tragedy occurred actually gave me a distaste for the the Org. During times like these you know who has compassion and empathy, the leaders of the ORG DO NOT.

They claim to have done these great deeds, actually they DON'T GO OUT OF THEIR WAY FOR HUMANITY.

So I can say that my true departure from the WT (small as it was) was 9/11.

• fattire5010
    fattire5010

The WTS response to 9/11 was a big reason why I began to fade as well. Our TMS/SM meeting was that day, and I remember wanting to skip the meeting™ and watch the coverage on TV (worked all day, didn't really get to see the events unfold live like most people). My FIL called us and pretty much chastised my wife for even thinking of skipping the meeting, especially when I had sound panel responsibilities™. The only mention of it at the meeting was during the closing prayer, when they asked for Jehovah to be with the "brothers and sisters™ who were affecting by the events of the day." How cold and heartless!

I also heard the same stories from Bethel™, how people were forced into continuing the structure of their day, with no thoughts or concerns about what was occurring just across the river. One Bethelite™ mentioned to a friend of mine that he was extremely scarred by what was going on, and they didn't give a s**t. It was about printing more magazines! Then to hear they didn't let worldly™ people in for relief who had to flee Manhattan!!

Can you tell this is one item that just infuriates me to no end about this organization!!!

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I had heard rumors of how the WT$ responded to the people leaving Manhattan. the following Scripture came to mind when I heard about this:

“You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
    (Matthew 5:43–48 ESV)

On this principle, the WT$ fails miserably, as they have always taken care of their own, first and foremost.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit