Which church?

by faundy 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

Why choose just from the christian tree? Hindu is pretty good. They let you be who you are. Depending on the flavor, you might not even have to worry about karma;) You get to reincarnate as many times as you want. S

• My Struggle
    My Struggle

How about a church that feels like home. You will know when you find it. It may be one of any numerous religions. Mine happened to be Baptist, but I didn't even know it was Baptist till long after going there. It is a place that is soo different from JW and it has little to do with the religion we are affiliated with. The main reason I liked it was the people in it, the love they exhibited, not just for one another but a genuine love for Jesus. For the first time I found a place that I could disagree with the church leader and it be totally ok. I found a place that I could really worship, it was a life changing event when I really worshiped God for the first time. Most of all I found a place that I knew would always search for Jesus, even if it means admitting they are/were wrong about something, which they have done. Not all Baptist churches are like this, and the same goes for churches affiliated with other religions. Just find a good church and don't worry too much about its religious affiliation.

On a related note; there are a few doctrines that I believe must be adhered to, but there is much room for personal conviction. For me I could never go to a place that has it all lined out like the JW

• My Struggle
    My Struggle
    Personally, I wouldn't trade one pair of shackles for another. Keep in mind too that atheists don't think that human beings "just happened," either. Check out other religions, but study science and evolutionary theory, too. It doesn't hurt to at least know something about evolution before you reject it. There is very compelling evidence for it that isn't taught in high school biology because textbook makers like to avoid the controversy.

Do you think that a person can believe in a mix of eveloution and God?

• inkling
    inkling
    Instead of looking for a church, why don't you pick up your Bible and try to convince yourself of God.
    But you are looking for God in a building. Why not try looking in the mirror.

Maybe becuase the mirror and the bible fail to provide basic fellowship with other persons of faith?

Do you think that a person can believe in a mix of eveloution and God?

I would recomend "Finding Darwin's God" by theist evolutionist Ken Miller.

[inkling]

• jaguarbass
  • poppers
    poppers
    If the religion is right for me, I won't FEEL shackled.

Wow! So it would be OK if you were shackled as long as it didn't "feel" like it? You would rather take the blue pill than find truth for yourself? You'd rather just "go along" as long as going along isn't in some way uncomfortable? Every religion is a "box" of sorts, with its own inherent limitations, its own "shackles". Padded and velvet shackles are still shackles. Where is it written that one must find "god" within the confines of any belief system?

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Pick a fellowship that the culture fits your personality. Since you've already associated with an authoritarian, abusive religion, just look for the warning signs to stay away from. Can't question anything, pressure to perform, feelings of guilt, etc, etc.

Congratulations on believing in God. Why not pray to him to find a suitable fellowship in your area?

Outaservice

• Exterminator
    Exterminator

American churches are corporations rife with W-style bigotry. Chinese churches are devoid of interaction. You come there, sing a song, listen to a pontifying sermon, sing another song, and go back home. African churches have a problem with superstition and leader-worship.

I have no advice.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Are there any FreeWill Baptist churches in the UK?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Well since Christ is the foundation of the Church & we are the bricks that makes up the Church, why not visit all the Churches & see for your self which you prefer .
    Fellowship in most of the Churches that teach SCRIPTURE (,,,that dont add on.)

The Catholic in my opinion does that by worshiping Mary. Since Scripture say CHRIST is above all others , I've done the rounds found WONDERFUL folk in the ALL . Yes Catholics also.But we are not followers of men now are we ?????We want to follow the Shepherd ...whom Scripture says in Jesus .
    I dont attend now anywhere but spent years at the Baptist, Pentecostal,a few meetings at the Catholic,
    Anglican, Presptyrian, Lutheran. Came to the opinion folk on the whole all want to be fed by GOD
    I now listen to Charles Stanley ( dont agree entirly but he has some thought prevoking sermons)I listen to D.Jerimiah, find him intersting but I prefer Charles Price ..they are all on T.V. May be I like him best cos he is a limey Well O.K. I know God dont have favorites I do!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit