Which church?

by faundy 42 Replies latest jw friends

• M.J.
    M.J.

Someone mentioned the Alpha course. That's an excellent suggestion and a great place to start.

Check it out:
    http://uk.alpha.org/

• bigwilly
    bigwilly
    Check out the Unitarians.

I'm with GGBG on this one. The Unitarian Universalist Church was the only one I felt comfortable in (comfortable meaning I wasn't waiting to burst into flame or be struck by lightening). What I liked about it (or the one here anyway) was that they were very open minded and accepting. After previous experiences with other churches (Catholic etc for friends life events) I refused to dress up or conform in any way. I rode my motorcycle to the service and walked in wearing a thrashed out flannel, all of my facial piercings, a windblown goatee and my most aloof look. They welcomed me in a friendly (but not overly friendly) manner and showed me around. The really refreshing part for me was that the explored a wide variety of belief structures withoutmaking me feel preached to. The first "sermon" was about Fred Rogers (ie Mr Rogers of TV fame) and what a cool human he was. This was followed by a readings from contemporary authors as well as the Tao Te Ching. While I do not attend (I'd rather have the sleep) I appreciated that they explored so many possibilities without promoting any one over another. The local group also had a Pagan group within it which I found particularly interesting. My recommendation for this particular group is based on the fact that you're encouraged to think for yourself and chose your own path. It would be a good way to have the church type community while being encouraged to explore all of the possibilities available.

• inkling
    inkling
    The really refreshing part for me was that they explored a wide variety of belief structures withoutmaking me feel preached to.

In the Unitarian church, who actually gives the sermons? Just one "pastor" or does it rotate, or does everyone take part?

[inkling]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit