Which church?

by faundy 42 Replies latest jw friends

• faundy
    faundy

I don't feel comfortable living as an atheist. I believe the world is far to complex and humans are too incredible to have just occurred.

Therefore, if I was to attend a church, which one should I consider?

Before you bother, please don't post long threads full of copied and pasted info on evolution, etc.

I want a church that accepts me for who I am and where I can be convinced of God.

Fire away, I'm wide awake.

• llbh
    llbh

Quaker, or a liberal form of Judaism. would be my choice. Reasons? Tthey accept me for who i am, and they treat women as equals, which for is a must.

Regards llbh

• llbh
    llbh

Quaker, or a liberal form of Judaism. would be my choice. Reasons? Tthey accept me for who i am, and they treat women as equals, which for is a must.

Regards llbh

• *summer*
    *summer*

Instead of looking for a church, why don't you pick up your Bible and try to convince yourself of God.

Why put your soul into the hands of men?

The light is in you.

Good luck

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Hi Faundy

Try and find one that runs an Alpha course. You should be able to question away, no holds barred!

You'll be able to find a place near you here:

http://uk.alpha.org/home

Let us know how you get on

emo - off to bed now cos she ain't even half awake!

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Check out the Unitarians.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

Personally, I wouldn't trade one pair of shackles for another. Keep in mind too that atheists don't think that human beings "just happened," either. Check out other religions, but study science and evolutionary theory, too. It doesn't hurt to at least know something about evolution before you reject it. There is very compelling evidence for it that isn't taught in high school biology because textbook makers like to avoid the controversy.

• faundy
    faundy

Ah, but that's my point. If the religion is right for me, I won't FEEL shackled.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

But you are looking for God in a building. Why not try looking in the mirror. Every faith I have explored had some sort of caveat that I find unacceptable. I have recently accepted that Jesus is the reason for the season. Not fanatically, just to bring inner peace. I am still the "pain in the ass" my wife tells me, but that just explains that I am still in control of my life. Not some mind numbing cult masquerading as my savior whilst picking my pockets clean.

Good luck in your endeavour!

• NanaR
    NanaR

Faundy:

I found that kind of experience in the Roman Catholic Church. I am more "me" than I have ever been, but I am closer to Jesus at the same time. My family (who do not necessarily agree with my decision) say I am calmer and more centered, as well as happier.

Most Catholic Churches are open during the day. You can just walk in and pray.

Because you asked,

Ruth

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit