Vote for your favorite "celebrated JW scholar"!!

by onacruse 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Onacruse,

From what I gathered his most recent books on chronology are self-published, but I suppose he did contribute to scholarly publications earlier (although I never noticed any of his papers before I heard about him on this board). See the bibliography on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolf_Furuli

• onacruse
    onacruse

Leo, thanks! What a read.

So far, the voting seems to be neck-to-neck between Woodworth and Fred Franz.

Now Fred came to Bethel in the early 20s, and of course Woodworth was one of those sent to prison with Rutherford.

One might just wonder (in terms along the lines of that GA article about the rain in Spain LOL): Was there a connection between these two celebrated JW scholars?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

OK, Onacruse.

I nominate Uncle Freddy.

Someone here mentioned Rutherford but he was not scholarly IMHO. Uncle Freddy was able to take a turd and giftwrap it in scholarliness.

Burn

• onacruse
    onacruse

Nark, thanks for that info about Furuli.

It would appear that Furuli is the only "JW scholar" who has ever published anything secular (even if self-published)...although one could perhaps consider Faith On the March a possible exception (not a scholarly work, but nonetheless, outside the auspices of the WTS).

• Cellist
    Cellist

My absolute favourite is F.F. He was a true "master of ambiguity". Not to mention a very fertile imagination.

Cellist

• Marjorie
    Marjorie

For my money, C.J. Woodworth wins hands down. I especially enjoyed The Finished Mystery, where he extolls the joys of demon possession. Apparently during his tenure as editor of The Golden Age he exposed occultism and demonism to the good worshippers of Jehovah on a regular basis. Truly an awe inspiring man!

• DubNoMo
    DubNoMo

I think Freddy F. wrote most of what I read back in the '70s so my vote goes to him, primarily for quaint word usage: "fornicatrix," "monkery." Oh, and for admitting under oath that he was incapable of translating the scriptures from their original tongues into English. And that presents a problem because now I'm voting for a scholar who obviously wasn't one.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

honorable mention to the writer of "Your Will Be Done On Earth" on the insight of cosmic rays on page 322 paragraph 25: 25 Studies have been made of the effect of cosmic rays on living cells in animal bodies, particularly with respect to disorders of the mind . What effect do they have or will they have on the way men behave here on earth? Certainly the Creator of cosmic rays, Jehovah God, could use these to affect the minds of his enemies, including the king of the north and the king of the south, and could drive them to mutual slaughter : "every man's sword shall be against his brother ." (Ezekiel 38 : 21, AS) In this prophecy God warns that he will also use other natural forces that are at his disposal, possibly a rain of anti-matter that has the property of annihilating any material thing that it meets . He warns all scoffers that he will do an unusual work.'-Isaiah 28 :21.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Sorry for the sloppy format. I'm using Firefox browser.

• onacruse
    onacruse

C'mon folks! Freddie is pulling ahead of Clayton.

"CLAYton! CLAYton! Yay, yay, yay! Go CLAYton!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit