Vote for your favorite "celebrated JW scholar"!!

by onacruse 34 Replies latest jw friends

• onacruse
    onacruse

Now, there are so many from which to choose...where is one to start?

Well, since I'm an old-timer, I must by default cast my vote for Clayton J. Woodworth, that inspired author and editor of the Golden Age who single-handedly warned the world about the dangers of aluminum cookware and vaccinations, among so many other things.

Only once in a generation comes along a man with such inspired insights as to baffle the minds of mere ordinary humans.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I'd like to vote for Brother Anonymous who wrote the "Daniel book" - y'know where he wrote that the "ships of Kittim (Cyprus) was actually British Navy ships, "lying off the western coast of Europe".

Huh?? Yeah, right.

• onacruse
    onacruse

ozzie, that's one that I never heard of!

*** dp chap. 15 pp. 262-264 par. 13 The Rival Kings Enter the 20th Century ***

In Daniel’s time Kittim was Cyprus. Early in the first world war, Cyprus was annexed by Britain. Moreover, according to The Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible, the name Kittim "is extended to include the W[est] in general, but esp[ecially] the seafaring W[est]." The New International Version renders the expression "ships of Kittim" as "ships of the western coastlands." During the first world war, the ships of Kittim proved to be mainly the ships of Britain, lying off the western coast of Europe.

See what happens? These celebrated JW scholars keep coming up with so many revelations that we can't even keep up!

Now, let me take a wild guess here: the author of that passage wouldn't happen to have the initials "F. F."?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Not unless he did it posthumously, onacruse.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Hehe Onacruse.

That one would make OBVES proud.

I nominate whoever came up with the kooky interpretations of Revelation! It's Grand ClimbAxe at hand!

Burn

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I'd like to vote for whichever one(s) of the New World Translating Committee "translated" the word "other" five times into Colossians 1:13-20.

Given the fact that Paul was very well versed in Greek and used heteros freely in a number of contexts, it would take a remarkable scholar indeed to divine that he intended its use in these passages where he didn't put it in.

• onacruse
    onacruse

AuldSoul:

Not unless he did it posthumously, onacruse.

Oops! I thought that was from the "old" Daniel book! See what happens when one doesn't "pay attention and keep on the watch"? But then, who knows if Freddie wasn't channeling from heaven, with these new revelations?

• onacruse
    onacruse

BTS:

I nominate whoever came up with the kooky interpretations of Revelation

To which version do you refer? Russel's? Rutherford's? Fred's?

One must be specific, ya know!

However, these men were indeed all celebrated JW scholars.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    However, these men were indeed all celebrated JW scholars.

And they all disagreed sharply with each other about the meaning of the symbols in Revelation for highly celebratable reasons, too.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here is the real funny thing about the ships of Kittim thing. A few pages earlier (p. 231), the author innocently mentions the actual "ships of Kittim" that the author of Daniel was referring to, without any awareness of this fact.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/107828/1.ashx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit