Spirit of Christmas - Christian versus non-Christian

by Cellist 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Cellist
    Cellist

A few days ago our neighbourhood had a group of Christmas carolers go door to door. They went to every door singing carols and leaving a plate of goodies. They announced, between carols, that they were from the local Baptist church. In fact, with the goodies was a tract encouraging everyone to come attend their church.

I came across that tract today and it got me thinking. The Christians came "giving" at Christmas time, but with ulterior motives. They weren't just giving for the joy of giving. Now, we enjoyed the carols and the goodies, but it felt very much like a sales pitch.

On the other side, my husband and I (and a couple more fellow non-Christians) have been asked if we would play for one of our local churches' Christmas Eve midnight mass. We have nothing to gain, monetarily or otherwise, but we've agreed to do it to add to their Christmas celebrations.

I'm not saying this to praise ourselves or criticize them. It just struck me today that every time Christians "give" it has a hook attached. When JWs give they usually let the recipient know they're JWs so that it's a "good witness for Jehovah". All of the times that I can think of where someone gave to me without hoping for something back, it has been a person who was not affiliated with any religion.

What do you think? What has been your experience?

Cellist

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I don't like to generalize, there are always exceptions. One of the exceptions to this is Ross (Little Toe from this board), he sent me a gift one time for no reason other than to be generous. He is a fine example of what I think a christian should be. He is (to this date) the only exception to your story that I have experienced.

Sherry

• White Dove
    White Dove
    Yup, Christianity seems to be just a bit like a commercial advertizing for more members. Sorry to offend them but that is my observation. Although they really do mean well, could an actively practicing Christian really do a generous thing for another person without announcing or inviting that one to their church? Are they really and truly able to respect the beliefs of those that don't match their own?
  • yknot
    yknot

I think you are reading more into it then needs to be.....

It was an invitation (adorned with carols and cookies) to come to their service/church.

Kinda like a News Eve Party invitation delivered with a basket of fruit including some champagne and two fluted glasses.

No RSVP, Whether you accept or decline, the goodies are yours!

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29
    I'm not saying this to praise ourselves or criticize them. It just struck me today that every time Christians "give" it has a hook attached. When JWs give they usually let the recipient know they're JWs so that it's a "good witness for Jehovah". All of the times that I can think of where someone gave to me without hoping for something back, it has been a person who was not affiliated with any religion.

What do you think? What has been your experience?

I think this is what still trips me out about Christmas. My partner &I met his parents yesterday at a hotel in Seattle--they were in town for errands--and we did gift exchange. We made soap and aromatherapy stuff for them, and they gave us a box of presents. I kept thinking "we need to give them more soap!" as it felt uneven, but I know that's not what its about. I hate that this issue pushes my buttons and I can't seem to figure it out.

I have the same issue with complements, when people say positive or nice thinga about me, I can't help but wonder "what do they want? when will they ask? Whatch for it...". Yuck huh.

Again, generalizations aside, many of the most pious christians are the most untrustworthy snakes. And yet, there are wonderful surprises of people who are truly Christ like (or Buhudda or Ghandi like). Gretchen mentioned LT, and I agree with that.

• TopHat
    TopHat

You might like this Christmas Song then! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2He4We7gSHQ

• beksbks
    beksbks

This has also been my observation.

I'm sorry ynot, I can't see it that way. If they'd had no message, would they still have delivered the gift? Or was it merely a vehicle? A New Year's Eve party invite, would be yet another gift. This seems more to me an invitation to a time share presentation.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think everybody does everything for a reason. Some are more blatant and crass than others.

If you go and perform at the church, it sounds like your alterior motive will be your looking for a warm fuzzy feeling. Or maybe you see it as a means of networking or finding friends. If you have no reason to perform at the church why dont you stay home and rent a movie on dvd?

Or it sounds like your a musician/ performer. So you cant find paying gigs, or your hoping this will lead to a paying gig. Or you dont get to play in front of people often and now you have a ready made audience.

I say everybody does something for a reason, everybodys working an angle.

At one time we were all working an angle by attending the kingdumb hall. At the very least we thought we were kissing Gods Hiney.

• Cellist
    Cellist

jaguarbass - You're right, everyone does things for a reason. In our case, the reason is very simple. The minister is a warm, bubbly sort of person who loves music. And we seem to have an inability to say no to that type of person. We're trying hard to get control of this inability, it's a weakness that has been exploited to our detriment in the past.

We live in a remote area, musicians are few and far between. Especially string players. We don't need to search for "business". We're very well known in our area.

It was the juxtaposition of the two situations that got me thinking. THEY are supposed to be the Christians, shouldn't THEY have been the ones who were doing it for the warm, fuzzy feeling? It is, after all, supposed to be their celebration. The season of unselfish giving, etc. etc. What they were doing was a membership drive, pure and simple. And, the motto of their Church is: experience the difference.

Cellist

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Holy Spit you guys-you analyze it 'till there is squat left but the corpse!!! Take it as it was given. I think the WT has taught most to analyze, when it's much more fun to simply enjoy what goes past you. Go, or don't go-but enjoy the offering. After all, it's probably delicious (and free too)!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit