Need Some Advice on MIL JW

by dkeithia 17 Replies latest jw friends

• dkeithia
    dkeithia

Ok I will try and make this story short because its not my intent to go on a huge MIL bashing spree.

September of 2004 I meet my now husband. While we were dating he told me that he wanted nothing to do with his family because they were JW's and he was disfellowshipped because of them and his now ex-fiancee. My husband had alot of hate inside of him because of them and I knew it wasnt healthy. Because of this I encouraged him to at least try again one more time. After the fiasco with his family during our wedding I was all for ignoring them along with my husband. Well couple of months after we married is when we moved. We didnt really want his family's help in moving but we needed it. So while I was at work his parents came over and helped him move most of our stuff. While they were helping apparently my MIL went through our things. One of the things she found was some D&D books of my husbands. We both like to play and see nothing wrong with it. Well a couple of weeks after we moved in my MIL calls several times in one day asking if she could speak to her son about something important. She was very rude to me on the phone (she always has been but this time it was worse). These calls come the day after my SIL telling me that my MIL is upset because her mother might be dieing. I thought that my MIL calling might be about that so I called my SIL and asked her if she knew anything. She didnt and offered to call my MIL. Five minutes later my MIL calls and starts screaming at me over the phone as to how horrible she thinks I am, that I am manipulating her daughter (because I had a question?) and that I have lead her son down the path of darkness. She then asks what my religion really is (I never told her before this, didnt think it was her business). I tell her and she begins to tell me that I am condeming myself and my children and her son to hell(I thought they didnt believe in hell). She screams at me for 20 minutes and then states that she does not want to be a part of our lives till we learn the truth and walk in the light again. Then she tells me to have my husband call her as soon as he gets home. (He was at the store during this getting things like milk and diapers.)

My husband comes home to find me in tears and proceeds to call his mother. She then screams at him calling him worthless (not the first time) for marrying me and then tells him the last thing she told me about not being in our lives. My husband yells back sticking up for me, tells her off and says great we didnt want you anyways and hangs up. Then comes the phone call two days later from my FIL. He tells my husband that we are devil worshippers and that WE need to apologize to MIL. Since all this happened we have had no contact with them. Any of them, because after this several months later my husbands aunt who he has not seen in years comes to visit from Germany. We went over to the IL house to say hi to her and then left. After that his aunt tells us in email that she and his relatives in Germany want nothing to do with us unless we apologize to MIL. Well a year goes by and we move out of town several miles away. We told no one from his family keeping with the they dont want us in their lives and we dont want them thing.

In August I gave birth to our daughter. We kept the pregnancy and birth a secret from his family because we did not want them involved for several reasons, one being the fiasco my IL's pulled when our son was born. So here it is Yule/Christmas is upon us and I am wondering if we are doing the right thing by keeping them out of our lives.

LH

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Welcome to JWD!

It kind of sounds like they are the ones pushing you away. Unfortunately, in this religion, family comes in far down the list of importance. You have a family of your own now. If you and your husband want you can send pictures or something once a year, but you don't need to be around such crazy toxic people. It's sad, but many here are estranged from family. The holiday season makes you miss what you don't have. But you DO have a family to shower with love. Keep the ones who love you close and try not to stress about the rest.

Merry Christmas!

momzcrazy

• flipper
    flipper

D KEITHIA- I am so sorry your husband and you suffered that abusive treatment . You have my wife and my empathy and compassion. These people are toxic, fanatical, cult mind controlled nutcases who would endanger your children . O.K. Now that I have that out, I will proceed.

First of all, I want you to know you are among friends here, many of whom have gone through similar things . Welcome to the board, there are lots of good caring people who will assist you with caring thoughts. I am surprised your MIL had the audacity to talk with her daughter in law that way. Had she ever talked like that to you before ? Was there any clue from how she acted before ? A lot of JW parents won't even talk with adult children who are disfellowshipped, so as she is acting so self-righteous and preachy to you about the game she found, yet she still associates with her son . So, right there she is showing she is an inconsistent Jehovah's Witness. That being said , as to whether you should try to stay in contact ? It is your husband and your choice of course, but to let mean spirited people like that in your home and endanger your peaceful home with a new baby, is risky at best .

The point is, is you don't have to be with abusive people, no matter who they are. Kudos to your husband for standing up to his mom . If anything his mom owes you an apology for screaming and acting like an insane lunatic ! Especially if she claims to be a " christian " witness of Jehovah, which by her actions, she really is not ! So if it was me in your situation, I would advise you and your husband to protect the peace of your home with your newborn , first and foremost. That is the priority here, and your first responsibility. If momma in law wants a relationship, you and hubby lay the ground rules out for her to respect you , if she doesn't do that , that is her problem, not yours. Peace is the key in your home ! Good luck, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Would you bring your kids to visit an insane assylum?

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Sounds like a very appropriate comparison Abandoned.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I would consider at least informing some least-interfering person in his family of a cell phone number or a
    P.O. Box or an email or something that they can get ahold of you at. I think the email would be the
    easiest. If nothing comes of it, no threatening and no "Rot in Hades" letters, then I would inform the
    same person about the birth of a child. Family deserves a chance to be actual family.

I also recommend reading Steven Hassan's two books, COMBATTING CULT MIND CONTROL and
    RELEASING THE BONDS. One day, your husband might be sorry that he hasn't made any effort to
    contact them. This email would allow for informing of deaths and illnesses, and starting to educate
    yourselves about how to help family in a cult might get you all to consider actually doing it.

I have an uncle and his family (wife and 1 kid) that are JW's and do not speak to the rest of the family.
    I don't understand the whole story, including how they can shun my mother (his sister) who is an
    active JW. They don't actually shun anyone, but just don't contact them. I had to hunt them down
    when his father was dying, then he moved and disappeared again. I had to hunt him down when his
    mother was dying. I only found him because I called the Kingdom Halls that he last attended and
    traced him through those. Then he had to choose to call, as the elders wouldn't give me his number
    but only passed mine on to him.

My situation is bizarre, don't analyze it. The point is that he didn't leave family a way to find him, and
    we could have been unable to tell him that his parents were dying. Only because of exerted effort
    on my part, was he able to talk to his father, then his mother, before they passed away.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Just wanted to say Welcom to dk. I feel bad for you. JW families suck. I know how my parents treated outsiders. Wish I had some helpful advice. Its easy to say your better off without them, but I understand that desire to be part of a real family.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Avoid all toxins especially for those in their early years. Caustic substances (Inlaws) leave nothing behind worthwhile. Adopt a new set of parents/grandparents. There are literally thousands of senior citizens that would love to have a healthy loving relationship with a young couple with children that are without parents and grandparents. I did this very early on in my exit from the Borg and loved having their friendship. carmel

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Welcome! I am sorry you have such a rotten story to tell. Congratulations on your own beautiful little family.

Ok, the Inlaws sound like the spawn of hell. If there is someone less hateful to give basic contact info to, or if you want to simply send them a change of address card, you probably should. . .then again, they don't deserve it, so thats strictly on you if you wish to.

I don't think you owe them info or pictures. You don't want them trying to just get in to screw up your kids lives and add continual stress to your own life. That is all they have to offer you.

Make a new family that is loving and kind.

Blessings to you!-Shelly

• besty
    besty

good advice carm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit