Our Fine Feathered Friends in the Backyard!

by AK - Jeff 35 Replies latest social physical

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

What kind of birds do you feed? I have had a wonderful variety this day at my backyard feeders. I enjoy them.

Pileated Woodpecker.

Downey Woodpecker.

Cardinal.

Red-Breasted Nuthatches.

White Breasted Nuthatches.

Junkos.

Morning doves. [On the ground as they won't land on a feeder.

How bout you? Bird tales?

Jeff

• JK666
    JK666

Jeff,

I had to kill a woodpecker last summer. I hated to do it, but he was going nuts on my siding. I am glad that you don't have any Blue Jays, they would run the others off.

JK

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My buddies are in the house, a cockatoo and a cockatiel.

I used to have a feeder at my last house. I had robins, chickadees, mourning doves, sparrows, cardinals, starlings, and blue jays come by. I'll be moving in spring and will have a backyard again, so I'm looking forward to putting a feeder out again.

And, of course, battling with the squirrels who want the food.

W

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Occasionally, I drop some of my nachos or popcorn and
    feed one of these fellows:

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Actually John, I forgot that. We do have an occasional Jay pop in. He runs off the others for a time, but he doesn't stick around much.

Jeff

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

blue tit

chaffinch

song thrush

robin

hedge sparrow and house sparrow

blackbird

starling

And all this in spite of one of my cats being an accomplished hunter! I put the feeders high up in the branches of my hawthorn and rowan hedge so he can't get at them without being seriously spiked - he learnt quickly lol!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Sad Emo - is this the bird you are calling a Robin?

This is a red breasted flycatcher from Romania.

This is the common Robin in the US

Jeff

• BrentR
    BrentR

My wife has at least a dozen bird feaders up so I think half of all the birds west of the Rockies are here. We also have a patch about 50' from the house that put out cracked corn and small sunflower seeds for the Chinese ringneck pheasants.

And of course in the spring and summer we have the hummer feeders out and have hundreds visiting all day.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I had to laugh at your opening post Jeff! Every one of the birds you mentioned are at our two feeders all the time.....and yesterday a big mourning dove LANDED on our birdfeeder shaped like a lighthouse. It looked so funny being so much bigger than all the other birds on it. We have had four mourning doves and three cardinals that never seem to leave the yard. Both varieties of woodpeckers are there first thing in the AM and stick close by the porch all day long.

We also have (UGH) starlings that have really messed up both our front and back porches (I wanna tell ya they REALLY mess it up) and we have lots of goldfiches and purple finches around all the time too. The feeders get so busy at certain times that I wonder how they don't have accidents flying in and out the way they do! We may have to put up a flight pattern and make announcements like an air controller to keep them from banging heads with each other, haha!

hugs,

Annie

• BrentR
    BrentR

These are last summers hatch and they feed us (eggs).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit